Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Shaquille Oneal.....An Epiphany

So I was in another state of mind and had an epiphany.

If Shaquille Oneal was a 70% free throw shooter the Los Angeles Lakers would have won about 10 consecutive NBA Championships.

A stat head can go look over the archives and tell you approximately how many more points he would have scored per game simply based on the calculation:

Average # of free throws attempted per game * 70% - the actual number of average free throws made per game.

While this point increase might be enough on its own to vault the Lakers to 10 consecutive championships, this point increase would not tell the entire story.

By shooting 70% from the free throw line this would also prevent teams from fouling Shaq on purpose anytime he got close to the rim. This would make playing defense on Shaq impossible. You can't stop him from getting close to the rim; you cannot foul him because he will make his free throws. This will result in not only an increase in points from free throws, but also an increase in the # of field goals Shaq is getting also.

You need to consider the impact on his teammates as well. To even attempt to stop him, you would need to double and triple team him leaving his teammates wide open.

Shaquille Oneal would be regarded as the greatest basketball player of all time he was a 70% free throw shooter.

------------------------------------------------------------

Notes to readers:

1. After reading this you might think to yourself that you already knew this, however I am sure that is because it is obvious once it is pointed out to you. Hindsight bias.

I have never heard this point made in the public sports media, and I am sure something of this nature would be repeated non stop. The Lakers would have won 10 straight championships.

2. I am a massive Kobe Bryant fan. Those of you familiar with my posts in this forum know this. I think Bryant is the closest thing to Jordan we have seen, and in fact might actually be a more skilled player.

With that said I sometimes am biased and don't really like Shaq because I had to choose between him and Kobe during the "feud" and break up.

I still think Shaq would be the greatest NBA player of all time if he shot 70% from the line.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Shaquille Oneal.....An Epiphany

"1. After reading this you might think to yourself that you already knew this, however I am sure that is because it is obvious once it is pointed out to you. Hindsight bias."

Actually, I thought that after reading the second sentence.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:29 AM

Basketball is a mostly reactionary game. Players don't think, while on the floor, about percentages. They're thinking, wow, this guy is 7 2 350 and I cant stop him so I should foul here. I don't think the impact would be as big as you state, except at the end of the game (in obvious foul situations).
Old 04-22-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basketball is a mostly reactionary game. Players don't think, while on the floor, about percentages. They're thinking, wow, this guy is 7 2 350 and I cant stop him so I should foul here. I don't think the impact would be as big as you state, except at the end of the game (in obvious foul situations).

[/ QUOTE ]

Coaches create game plans against opponents and instruct their players to implement the strategies.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 AM

According to 82games, Shaq averaged 12.4 ft per 48 this year,so like 11 a game or so. Maybe in his prime he was up around 15.

So if he shot 75% during that time instead of say 45% he'd score 4 more points a game. That's a fairly generous estimate and I still don't think that by itself would move those lakers into invincible status. If you use 70% and 14 ft a game you get a difference of 2.8 pts. I think the second factor you stated about taking away the fouling strategy and opening stuff up more for other guys would probably actually be more important than the extra few points.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 AM

I had an epiphany when I saw shaq play a genie in some movie, changed my view of the world.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:01 AM

I've only heard this said by the LA sports media like dozens of times. They didn't even have to get high to come to that realization.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:10 PM

I really can't get over this line:

[ QUOTE ]

1. After reading this you might think to yourself that you already knew this, however I am sure that is because it is obvious once it is pointed out to you. Hindsight bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Seriously, I'm original. I know I just blew your mind."
Old 04-22-2007, 01:32 PM

While I agree to an extent (not 10 straight) I'm not really sure what the overall point is. Bottom line is he ISN'T a good free throw shooter. He ISN'T even an average free throw shooter, he's horrible.

In other news imagine if Michael Jordan was the exact same player but 6 inches taller. I bet the Bulls would have had many more championships.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:35 PM

Just think if Kobe shot 50% from the field, and 40% from the 3's. Think of how many championships they would have won then?

oooh just imagine if he had a billion assists too, how many more titles would they have?

Aww shiiiiit, I just described Steve Nash