Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Default training and dieting for soccer

I played a lot of soccer growing up, then stopped at 14 (I'm 19 now), then picked it up and played varsity at my school (no big deal though, we were 3-12). I was relatively successful as a player given that I hadn't played in 4+
years. Now I'm heading off to college next year, and a pretty big school at that (UMass most likely).

I don't want this to be the end of my soccer career, and while I'm very happy with the idea of playing intramural soccer, I see no point in not trying out for varsity (if they even have open tryouts). So I've set a goal for myself that I'll get in better shape and get better at soccer so that I'll be able to reasonably not feel like a fool trying out.

I play forward and while I have decent footwork and am a talented passer, I very much lack good striking and finishing ability. Also, although I hustle very hard, I'm not a very fast nor quick player. My overall stamina, also, is not very stellar. I suck in the air.

So how should I work out? So far I've been running (either about 3 miles at a decent pace or like 1-2 at a hard pace depending on how I feel) and doing some sprinting (when weather permits) or the agility ladder (when it doesn't). In addition I'm working on my ab strength. Also, obviously I've been playing a lot of soccer (my touch has improved a lot lately).

The ability to seriously play while I'm at school and then over the summer will be very limited, but recently a lot of small sided games have been played all over campus and when they're not being played I try to constantly kick it around with some friends from the team.

Thoughts on training or what I should be eating?

Edit- I'm 5'10, 165 lbs and am pretty strong

TL;DR (this was probably unnecessarily long)
Old 04-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: training and dieting for soccer

PM DLKeeper1. He's playing goalie for a Big 10 school next year, and he should definetely be able to help you out.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:31 PM

OP,

Firstly, I would recommend finding a club team to train with because this is where you will improve most. Also, to improve your agility, speed, strength and stamina, I would recommend plyometrics. There are plenty of resources to learn about plyometrics, the best book in my opinion is called Jumping into Plyometrics by Dr. Donald Chu. Get this book and read abut what Chu suggests, specfically for soccer players. As for your finishing, the best way to practice is by doing lots of reps of striking a ball cleanly with your toe pointed down, ankle locked. Try to hit it so there is no backspin/sidespin. These are pretty broad answers, ask anything more specific if you would like. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:43 AM

lol at you "dieting"
Old 04-22-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at you "dieting"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means cleaning up his diet, not cutting calories.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:11 PM

1. smoke weed
2. play fifa (training outside is just stupid)
3. fuel up on pizza and burger king
4. ????
5. profit
Old 04-22-2007, 02:48 PM

First off sorry to burst your bubble, but you will not be making the soccer team there. Realistically to play at a D1 school you need to have played your entire life and you havent. So even if you do get physically into shape your skill level isnt going to be near what it should be.

Some basic drills to work would be learning to juggle using both and only both feet...work on going right foot, left foot back and forth for several hundred. Do some dribbling using both feet...that will help your touch from that stand point.

More than likely you have no shot at being a forward so work on your midfield abilities. You need to work on hitting all the passes you need to...inside foot, outside foot, backspinning, forweard spining...being able to bend the ball and so forth.

There is so much more you need to focus on but I just wanted to give you an idea of the magnitude of what you would have to do. Be content to just make the club team. They are usually pretty good teams

Work on a lot of multidirectional sprint workouts.

Just to give you a point of reference. Your 2 mile time needs to be under 12 minutes to even have a shot at being physically up to the challenge. Your 40 time needs to be in the 4.5-4.7 range.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 PM

OP-if you want to try something, try it.

matt who do you play for?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:14 PM

Not in college anymore...Played for the US Merchant Marine Academy though during college. Could have played D2 for certain and probably D1. (had an offer from Creighton), but wouldnt have been able to get a full scholarship.

Highschool played for the Top Texas HS (Kingwood) and played for Houston Hurricanes clubwise.

edit: Wanted to add 2 things:
1. I am not tryin to brag just wanted you to see that I have the credentials to make decent opinions
2. I am not tryin to discourage him from trying to pursue it, but I also think he needs to have a realistic idea of what lies ahead for him.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Ok i just disagree with your 40 times for instance...i know plenty of slower players who are going to strong D1 schools. I know that you're telling him what he's up against, but don't shoot down his attempt to achieve something.