Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Is a Zen Koan \"Accurate\"?

[ QUOTE ]
"Greetings," says the master, "you are right in time for thee."
As they are enjoying their thee, the friend asks:"That old chair of my mother that I brought yesterday, she likes it so much, but as you know it is not save to sit on anymore. You thought you might know somebody that could fix it..."
The master smiles:"Yes it will be ready next week, as good as new!"

"That is good news," says the friend,"but why are you smiling?"
"Was I? I didn't know, I was thinking of the past, the times that I was a student and my master was giving me all these annoying chores to do," says the master.
"But those thoughts used to make you angry, so how can you be smiling now?" asks the friend.
The master looks up in surprise and says:"I was looking at myself through the eyes of my old master!"

[/ QUOTE ]

As time passed, many students at the Monastery became disheartened at their ill treatment by their Master. No one was realizing enlightenment. They saw that their Master was not living according to the Eight-Fold path of the Buddha. Many left the Monastery. Some became discouraged and even wrote books about the impossibility of enlightenment.

Others heard the story of the student who had realized enlightenment after visiting the Sage living in the Cave. They sought out the Sage and found him chopping wood and carrying water outside the cave. The sage was happy to see each one of them, treating them like old friends and guests. The sage continued to tend his garden, chop wood, and carry water. He freely gave to his guests everything his humble existence allowed. His Koans were robust and full of energy for the students. One after another realized Satori and travelled far and wide. People everywhere marveled at their Compassion and sought them out to learn about the Buddha.

Meanwhile, the Master of the Monastery soon found himself alone and forgotten.

PairTheBoard