Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Can Christianity exist without other religions?

This is a simple question that I do not know the answer to. It seems that a large part of any religion is the supposed superiority of said religion over other faiths. In Christianity, this includes being saved. But if everyone is saved, what is the point of being saved? That is, can the religion exist if there is no one left to be saved.
Does not Christianity need heathens in order for the continuance of the faith? If this is true, then the idea that Christians want to save everyone cannot possibly be honest.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Can Christianity exist without other religions?

[ QUOTE ]
This is a simple question that I do not know the answer to. It seems that a large part of any religion is the supposed superiority of said religion over other faiths. In Christianity, this includes being saved. But if everyone is saved, what is the point of being saved? That is, can the religion exist if there is no one left to be saved.
Does not Christianity need heathens in order for the continuance of the faith? If this is true, then the idea that Christians want to save everyone cannot possibly be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, PTB, what he said! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
large part of any religion is the supposed superiority of said religion over other faiths.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're either speaking out of your ass, or weren't the brightest kid on your block.

I can make erroneous statements with little to no factual bearing on reality as well.

"Ice cubes are responsible for increased coronary disease associated with fast food."

I hope that answers your question.

Vhawk, you agreeing with him surprises me. You usually aren't that dumb in other threads. Read the bible even if you don't believe it to be true, read it because it's one of the greatest works of literature since the introduction of the written medium.

Not only will you have read a good book, but you will have a better understanding or what you are actually arguing against.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if everyone is saved, what is the point of being saved? That is, can the religion exist if there is no one left to be saved.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many Christians can you get that agree on what they mean by 'saved' ?

I've known quite a few Christians who thought no people went to hell or disbelieved in hell altogether, so I think Christianity would survive.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
large part of any religion is the supposed superiority of said religion over other faiths.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're either speaking out of your ass, or weren't the brightest kid on your block.

I can make erroneous statements with little to no factual bearing on reality as well.

"Ice cubes are responsible for increased coronary disease associated with fast food."

I hope that answers your question.

Vhawk, you agreeing with him surprises me. You usually aren't that dumb in other threads. Read the bible even if you don't believe it to be true, read it because it's one of the greatest works of literature since the introduction of the written medium.

Not only will you have read a good book, but you will have a better understanding or what you are actually arguing against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sir. Done. I've read the Bible, cover to cover, although it took me a few years.

Of course I agree with him. What is the fun in Christianity if there is no Hell? Certainly you believe in Hell, and certainly you believe that you aren't going there, right? PTB's contention in another thread is that everyone melds with God after we die, and no one goes to hell, no matter what we believe. I think thats a fine notion, but there is almost no chance of it ever catching on. Why would anyone follow the dictates of a book if it doesn't get them some benefit others don't get?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if everyone is saved, what is the point of being saved? That is, can the religion exist if there is no one left to be saved.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many Christians can you get that agree on what they mean by 'saved' ?

I've known quite a few Christians who thought no people went to hell or disbelieved in hell altogether, so I think Christianity would survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it was understood in my previous post, but if not, I'll make it clear here. I agree that SOME Christians feel this way, and PTB is a good example (not sure if he considers himself a Christian? Either way) I just don't think this is anywhere near the majority view. Also, I have a hunch that the Christians who believe no one goes to hell are the Christians who don't subscribe to any of the time-consuming, unenjoyable parts of the religion, but rather take the good parts and ignore the parts they don't like. I'm not saying this is a bad way to approach it, but obviously, the less you are required to personally invest in your own salvation, the more likely you will be to grant that salvation to everyone.

Christianity isn't necessarily fundamentally opposed to this. In theory, anyone can be saved with almost no work whatsoever. The only thing required (depending on who you ask) is that you ask for salvation. But then I hear about gay rights and pro-life and all these other issues, none of which SHOULD make a lick of difference, since everyone is saved. Who knows.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a better way to phrase it would be, 'Can Xianity exist if there were no non-Xians?'

My guess is yes, Xianity (or any other major religion) could survive if everyone in a society was of that particular religion. Think about a small European town during the Dark Ages where there wasn't a Jew/Muslim/etc for miles (and people didn't go far from their homes during their lifetime). The faith survived through that period in those areas.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM

True, but they still knew that there were others who did not believe. It would be different if there was nobody in the world who did not believe.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, but it is my random baseless assumption that I can't back up with any facts that they still knew that there were others who did not believe. I've got the intelligence of a flatulent Koala yet I'm going to theory-craft on the deepest realm of pyschology and hope you guys assume that I'm intelligent and that my reasons shouldn't be immediately dismissed so it's FACT that it would be different if there was nobody in the world who did not believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jacob, you're a worthwhile addition to 2+2.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]