Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: 20 people killed at Virginia Tech

I believe I agree 100% with Mondo. My daughter has received phone calls, IMs, and text messages from people she has not seen or spoken to in 2 years. From people who saw her at spring break (when she was home) and did not even say "Hi", even though they sat three seats down from her at an event for over 2 hours. A facebook "friend invite" from someone who dropped her as a friend 2 years ago.

She has graciously responded to all of them. Why? Because it is possible that some were touched by this event and are truly sincere. For those who are simply seeking "drama"....so what? It allows them to feel better for a period of time and allows my daughter to move on. It is not for her (or I) to judge anyone's intentions right now...nor will we.

I will add that if everyone who was not closely involved with this tragic event chose to do nothing and be uninvolved - I doubt highly this university or these students would be able to move on very quickly. The circle of support, although large, would be too small. Yesterday, my daughter and husband had on their VT sweatshirts. As we were heading up a flight of stairs at the subway station, a gentleman at top of the stairs saw us and yelled down "Hey, Virginia Tech!!" and waved. It made my daughter smile, it brought tears to her eyes, and for a brief moment made her feel a little better.

So if you don't want to be involved - that is fine. But for people that do, please do not judge them - even if some of their efforts may appear misguided in some way.

In closing, I will add, I guess I lied. Our daughter will be coming home with us. Her dorm is on the drillfield across for the classroom building. She has a class in the next building over. She has not slept well since Monday and likely will sleep worse when she goes back next week. Professors are more than supportive in her decision - they have lost co-workers, spouses - and in one case, their own daughter. I suspect they are ready to give final grades and go home too. So we will help her spend some time on campus next week, she may or may not stay in her dorm, and then wrap things up and come home. She will return next fall. She has made it clear there is no question about that.

Please don't call us stupid for this decision, as kyro might have a coronary, I can't deal with that right now. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
KM
Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM

kyromom,

I geniunely will keep you and the others affected in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kyromom,

I geniunely will keep you and the others affected in my thoughts and prayers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you and to everyone at 2+2 who has offered their thoughts, prayers, and support to myself and kyro. I am obviously using OOT as my own outlet right now (I don't think I am suppose to do this in POG - my regular "home") - so I am using OOT "at my own risk" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But I certainly don't mean to hijack the thread or discourage anyone from posting their opinions on the matter.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:05 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18220228/

wow, Jack Thompson is an idiot.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18220228/

wow, Jack Thompson is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Water is wet.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Among the many bizarrely stupid things he said:

"He might have killed somebody but he wouldn't have killed 32 if he hadn't rehearsed it and trained himself like a warrior on virtual reality. It can't be done. It just doesn't happen."

Huh?
I don't play any of these video-games (Counter-Strike, Grand Theft Auto, whatever, none of them).
I also have never even held a real gun much less fired one.

If I wanted to, I don't think I would have ANY problem taking out 20+ people in any number of buildings with perhaps a little scouting and some minimal training on how to operate and fire a weapon.
And I believe most other people could do this too.

His quote makes it sound like this is something that is really difficult to do.
Ummmm, hold up the gun, point it, shoot someone, repeat.
It just wouldn't be that hard.