Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Smoking weed affects play?

Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly marijuana negatively affects your short term memory. I cannot imagine that compliments poker play well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you just took a bad beat it could prevent tilting.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly marijuana negatively affects your short term memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall hearing anything of the sort.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly marijuana negatively affects your short term memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall hearing anything of the sort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty funny [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 08:48 PM

Try it! I smoked alot (2-3times/day) for 5years and for me "quitting"(I still smoke a few times/week) was great!
You definetly learn faster and enchance some brain power when you dont smoke so much. Dont know if 4-5 times/week is enough to give you noticable constant deffects (theyre temporarily, but constant until you pause a few days), so try it, could work wonders!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao
Old 04-19-2007, 09:09 PM

IT WONT HELP.

Prolly make you play more aggressive.. I don't recommended it and have never tried it.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:46 AM

I've smoked almost constantly for the last 7 years and gave up, for good, early March. I was rarely high when playing but might have been stoned in the evening from an afternoon's toke or two. What i've noticed:

My memory has vastly improved, meaning i actually remeber when i make mistakes and LEARN from them rather than just forget and make them again and again.

My confidence has improved greatly, i rarely hesitate if re-raised all-in for example, and cnsequently my decision-making has been geratly improved.

I'm getting better tells off people because i'm actually noticing what's going, noticing patterns etc.

I found i was playing way too aggresive aswell and found it hard to lay down hands even though i sought of knew i was beat.

Quite simply put, my game is sooooo much better, whereas before i'd win a bit, lose a bit and stayed pretty much constant, i'm now a consistent winner on small stakes NL 10c/25c. I know it's not big bucks, but i'm moving up the stakes.

And that's only my poker game, not to mention the benefits to my social life, friendships and most importantly my relationship.

If you're serious about poker, quit smoking, that's my opinion.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've smoked almost constantly for the last 7 years and gave up, for good, early March. I was rarely high when playing but might have been stoned in the evening from an afternoon's toke or two. What i've noticed:

My memory has vastly improved, meaning i actually remeber when i make mistakes and LEARN from them rather than just forget and make them again and again.

My confidence has improved greatly, i rarely hesitate if re-raised all-in for example, and cnsequently my decision-making has been geratly improved.

I'm getting better tells off people because i'm actually noticing what's going, noticing patterns etc.

I found i was playing way too aggresive aswell and found it hard to lay down hands even though i sought of knew i was beat.

Quite simply put, my game is sooooo much better, whereas before i'd win a bit, lose a bit and stayed pretty much constant, i'm now a consistent winner on small stakes NL 10c/25c. I know it's not big bucks, but i'm moving up the stakes.

And that's only my poker game, not to mention the benefits to my social life, friendships and most importantly my relationship.

If you're serious about poker, quit smoking, that's my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM

lol @ the majority of these responses

several nosebleed highstakes nl pros who mainly play hu are usually under the influence of thc. for a person who already has a slight tolerance, thc used w/ moderation should improve your feel, patience, and greatly decreases your propensity 2 tilt

numerous highly succesful online tourny pros also toke, esp. when they final table in order 2 help them zone in after playing 4-5 hrs.

Using mary jane should not affect your general performance on cognitve tasks (that do not relate to s.t. memory) w/n 24hrs

smoke with moderation and you'll be fine, you may also want 2 search some online scientific journals to learn more about thc's cognitive effects