Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Small stakes, live tipping advice?

[ QUOTE ]
I think its funny that no one has mentioned that the dealers who work full time get paid much much much more than any other job of equivalent skill level other than strippers. (

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's funny that you haven't read the other 100 threads on tipping in the past year then. Go do a search and come back with your groundbreaking and fresh thoughts. Seriously, why do these threads always turn this way. IF YOU HATE DEALERS DONT PLAY WITH THEM! Simple solution.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to see the day when everyone waits until the end of a dealers 30min and tips if they are up for that half hour 1 dollar per pot that they won. That would cut the dealers take by about half which is about where it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]
You want to see dealers earnings cut in half? For what, just to spite them because you're miserable?

There's a little more to the job than you realize, and it's not the mechanical aspects of running the game that make it challenging.

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason that dealers get so much money is because poker players in general do not understand the value of money and give far far far too much money to dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of poker players would disagree with your generalization. Players don't tip because they're too dumb to appreciate the value of money, they do it to express appreciation for the service they're getting. It's not an obligation.

As Photoc mentioned, if you have a big issue with tipping, dealers, or even people in general, you always have the option to play from home.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to see the day when everyone waits until the end of a dealers 30min and tips if they are up for that half hour 1 dollar per pot that they won. That would cut the dealers take by about half which is about where it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]
You want to see dealers earnings cut in half? For what, just to spite them because you're miserable?

There's a little more to the job than you realize, and it's not the mechanical aspects of running the game that make it challenging.

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason that dealers get so much money is because poker players in general do not understand the value of money and give far far far too much money to dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of poker players would disagree with your generalization. Players don't tip because they're too dumb to appreciate the value of money, they do it to express appreciation for the service they're getting. It's not an obligation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so people are aware, this is missquoted. I never posted either of these but the reply was to me and the words "You" are used as if it were something I posted.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...this is missquoted. I never posted either of these...

[/ QUOTE ]
There is exceedingly little risk of anyone thinking you posted these statements. Almost as little risk as the chances of my playing four hands total in the tourney tonight, KK, KK, AK, and AK and losing with all of them. OH...wait...

(ok...so I injected a little BBV into B&M, but otherwise this woulda been a dreadfully short and kinda useless post--this way it's not short).
Old 04-20-2007, 12:30 AM

Sorry if the quote was a little messed up. My intent was to expand on what you said here:

[ QUOTE ]
IF YOU HATE DEALERS DONT PLAY WITH THEM!

[/ QUOTE ]
by saying

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a big issue with tipping, dealers, or even people in general, you always have the option to play from home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was quoting leyksis in the previous post, sorry for the confusion. My bad -
Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 AM

I generally tip $1 for every pot $30-40 and over, and $1 for every $100s in a pot, but usually not more than $5 in a pot.

People worry about tipping etiquite too much though, I couldnt care less what players or dealers think about my tipping policies, I tip when I feel its appropriate. But I'm not tipping on small pots. I'm just a low limit player and I dont want to toss away $10 an hour on tips when it could go into my pocket.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd settle for $30/hour, I don't see anything close to $50/hour, much less guaranteed

[/ QUOTE ]

How generous of you to "settle" for 30/hr. However, as your employer I think I will need to take a look at my options and see if perhaps I can find some workers who might "settle" for say 18/hr. You see, as a player, I am running a business, and like any good business, costs must be kept under control. It's nothing personal....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...As your manager, I just can't justify your salary when I can get the same service for half the cost. If you dont think I can, try going on strike. It worked out well for the grocery store clerks.

http://eddriscoll.com/archives/010394.php

The only reason dealers pay is not cut is because most players are horrible buisness owners.

There is a reason that there is a huge waiting list to become a dealer at most Bay Area card rooms.

As Photoc presumed, I didn't search every thread on tipping before I posted. I am glad to hear that my comments are so often echoed on the forums.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 AM

You are just so negative, there is nothing at all wrong with the fact dealers are lucky to have the job they do because its just one of those jobs that happens to pay well, or so you say. I think that you are a little jelous that dealers might make more than you and you cut down the work they do in spite of them. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH ONE PERSON WANTING TO GIVE ANOTHER PERSON MONEY NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY IT IS OR WHAT THE PERSON DID TO EARN IT (obviously not including some sort of illegal activity or immoral doing). I would not give a crap if someone sat down and tipped a hundered dollars a hand at a 3/6 table. If they could afford it it is not hurting anyone. Of course there could be better uses for that money, but that is entirely up to the person that the money belongs to.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH ONE PERSON WANTING TO GIVE ANOTHER PERSON MONEY NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY IT IS OR WHAT THE PERSON DID TO EARN IT

[/ QUOTE ]

Many would say that the above quoted statment is evil.

Selfishness is a virtue.

A=A
Old 04-20-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its funny that no one has mentioned that the dealers who work full time get paid much much much more than any other job of equivalent skill level other than strippers. (And I would argue that being a stripper requires much more "skill")

[/ QUOTE ]

As a female dealer I find this comment hilarious! While dealing isn't rocket science, if I were on stage shaking my ass or grinding on someone's lap I wouldn't have to be aware of what everyone else was doing and keeping track of it as well.

I agree with the previous poster who commented that the people who don't tip are usually the most high maintenance and the ones most likely to be sitting in the one seat jabbering in your ear about how bad you deal because you never give them 'decent' cards or the five seat glaring at you because you always give them the second best hand. Like I really give a crap who wins the hand (well, other than some perverse pleasure when a total jerk goes busto)! To each their own - if you don't tip and are a total [censored] at least I don't have to smile and say thank you! And that is usually worth a dollar.
Closed Thread