Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Moscow Millions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Point being: Moscow is safe but if your young and small and don't speak russian, then do not roam alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

So obv

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? I felt safe in every city I have been in for a poker tournament. If I can't walk around and explore the city w/o worrying about crazy nazi's killing my jew ass, then I obv don't want to go.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar & RushnRocket are exagerrating a bit. Here in Moscow we are also told that you'll be definitely killed immediately as soon as you enter Harlem. Is it true? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are some <21 year-old online poker players who might have problems if they wandered around Harlem; but I've always said that if you have a reason or purpose to be someplace (in Harlem, for instance), you're usually not going to be messed with.

My concern is with the orderliness of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harlem has been changing rapidly due to new housing and development. "If your looking for action, South Bronx is the place to see, if your looking for a satisfaction Hunts Point guaranteed." [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Point being: Moscow is safe but if your young and small and don't speak russian, then do not roam alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

So obv

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? I felt safe in every city I have been in for a poker tournament. If I can't walk around and explore the city w/o worrying about crazy nazi's killing my jew ass, then I obv don't want to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I feel bad. You won't be targeted but the safety level is indeed very different. And I stand by my original statement, "do not roam alone especially at night."

Moscow is a beautiful place with lots to see. Walking on the red square (and visiting the Mausoleum where Lenin's body is) is worth the trip alone. The hermitage in St. Petersburg is indeed breathtaking. The women are gorgeous.

But is it equivalent to going to UK or France or Italy safety wise? the answer is no.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 PM

There's a ton of foreigners living in Moscow. There's an expat newspaper, www.exile.ru that used to be very good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_eXile

You might want to see what these americans say about living there. Visiting, obviously is much different, and, one might assume, in a good way.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:17 PM

I guess I'll just bring Gugel again.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:19 PM

Being a jew not speaking Russian in Moscow is as safe as being any white guy not speaking Russian. This whole safety issue is blown out of proportion.

Exploring the city alone can be hard though because of the language barrier.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of St.Petersburg, there is St.Petersburg Open coming up(May 10-18):
http://www.goldengarden.ru/en/pt_new.phtml
Main event is 5k.
Adanthar, are you coming this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll actually be there ~a week earlier on vacation, but nah, I'm skipping it this year. I think I'll be in Moscow for this one though.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Jews are not really welcome there (all throughout history), thats why many of them leave. Here is a little history fact: Russia use to write in your Passport if you were Jewish. It actually stated "Nationality: Jew." This practice ended at around the fall of CCCP 90's. This isn't something you will learn in your history books. So Jews were never very popular there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the former republics still do this. It's awesome because all of their passports are in two or three languages (Russian, their own and English) and they always leave the translation off the English version. Hilarious.

Anyway...being a Jew in Moscow/St. Pete's is safe. Being a Jew that advertises the fact is not. Being a foreigner that advertises it outside the touristy areas is not, either. Stick to the main tourist attractions *or* be street smart/move in big groups *or* don't look like you stick out in a city full of Russians and you should be OK. It's not Zimbabwe and you're probably as safe in Moscow as in Warsaw or the Bahamas outside of the resort parts, provided you don't do anything dumb like flash foreign currency or get loudly drunk.

On the other hand, and again I'm 100% serious, if you are black you will be [censored] with. Among other things, I have handled an asylum case by a black Russian citizen and know what I'm talking about. Do not even think about it.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:12 AM

I'm a jew and I'm still alive after 29 years here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tournament organizers know the rules perfectly - there is no question about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Russia is infested with more Neo-Nazis than any other place on earth. Ironic perhaps huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, is it unsafe for Jews to be there, too?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-20-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exception: do not come to Russia at all if you're black (seriously).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did not think of that, sorry. I second that warning. Also may be uncomfortable if you display that you are Jewish. Russians in general are so friendly and since I am white as snow it is easy to forget that some of them don't extend that friendliness towards other races/ religions.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 PM

In general I would say that if you use common sense you are safe almost everywhere in Europe. But I have often seen that many Americans aren't as good at blending in, just don't have that instinct and thus stand out very markedly. Also seems to be confused by situations that arise.

This is not advice specifically for Moscow but in general if you feel the situation gets dangerous/starts to get out of control when in a European country:
-Do not speak English, especially loudly to eachother. Be careful with body language etc.. I.e. drunks may be angry/frustrated that they don't understand or will misinterpret you and add aggression to the situation. If somebody approaches you at 3am in the night and ask you for money, if you know a few words in the local language use them to decline politely, but at the same time in a deceisive way so that you don't leave any room for discussion.
-Act deceisively. You decide. You decide where to go, which street, when to leave the club, which cab to take etc.. When somebody starts telling you that you have to take that certain cab or have to order this or that or whatever, show that you don't let people push you around. Here is a very thin line obviously, don't start a confrontation and be flexible, but do not enter into the slippery slope of them pushing you around. It is the foreigners that pay the local cop or mob $20 for something that run into trouble, not those who decline. There are not many criminals or others that have the physchological strength to move into a conflict with somebody that looks self confident and in control of the situation.

And, DON'T BUY DRUGS. I think that those of you who buy i.e. weed when you are on a tournament in Europe are completely insane. The locals many places can buy drugs, get a small fine and be free to leave, whereas you as foreigner may be suspected for smuggling which means being thrown into custody and maybe spending a few years in prison. Definately not worth it. Also some places you can just walk free being i.e. English or something, but if you are American the police may wish the worst for you, and having a gram of weed on your body is giving them an excuse.