Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Default friend for accountability with tilt

Hey guys, I have been a lurker for about 2 years and I can say 2+2 has helped me greatly in improving my poker game and also provided me much entertainment. I have played poker live and online for about 3 years and always built my bankroll to 3000,5000,7000 on like 4 different occasions from a small starting bankroll.

In all of these occasions, I would be playing like 2/4 NL max buy in 400 dollar buy in. I would lose my stack due to a bad beat or a bad play and then I would go on tilt and probably proceed to lose another stack in the same game which would get me on even greater tilt. Now, in this stage of super tilt I would go into higher limits to get my money back and sometimes it was successful, but in the long run I would lose my whole bankroll.

This year, I moved into an apartment with a couple of guys and we have grown close to each other. I deposited 50 dollars a week ago and now have built it up to 3000 and I feel a strong sense of deja vu. Of course, I lost a buy in at 2/4 tables but now since my friends were around me they helped me to stop while I was on tilt. I gave them my password and they changed the password so I couldn't log on for one week. Now instead of being bust I have a good sized bankroll to play 1/2 NL. The point of this post was the emphasis of how important friends are and how now I can be a successful poker player because my tilt will not destroy me anymore. I think the people here that are struggling with tilt should find someone that could hold them accountable meaning that would stop them to play when they go on tilt.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: friend for accountability with tilt

Not sure if you are looking for advice, but your idea is very good advice to me. I busted a bunch of bankrolls online and it was due to trying to move up. If I had somebody there that can tell me to leave when Im up or help me to manage my money I wouldn't have busted out so many times.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:44 PM

I dont move up when im tilting, I only move up when my roll can handle it. I just get a tunnel vision when im tilting, Im a timebomb, I just want to get a shot at a big pot, and when i get QQ or something, its all or nothing, even if its obvious the guy hit with AK i cant lay it down.

I dont go crazy like some, pushing every hand :P . I just overplay hands and dont get max value out of sets, straights full houses, cos i just push them allin. So someone advising not to play like that when im tilting helps alot.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:11 PM

i used to tilt a lot, a friend of mine said i would be a great player if it wasnt for my tilting issues. so one day i just made a conscious decision not to tilt any more. sure i can soft tilt if i take enough beats but its not the monkeytilt throwing buy ins away anymore. nowadays i hardly feel emotional about the game, sometimes slightly exhilarated during a big pot. its great.

so, uh, yeah friends are great i guess
Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 PM

I think this is a good plan to help work on these issues. Ideally, we should all be personally accountable and recognize when we are tilting/not playing our best/playing in a game that is not the best EV situation and stop playing, but I think most people (probably everyone) have experienced these issues and found their own way to deal with them. I have gotten better about dealing with the types of situations described in the OP but I still have relapses. One thing that helps me is to ask myself a series of questions as I'm playing:

1. Am I playing my best poker? Yes - Keep playing, No - see below

2. Why not? Tilt? Tired? Drunk? Bad table? Bad image?

3. What can I do to change it? Recognize how other people are perceiving me and adjust? Change Tables? Move down in stakes? Take a break? Quit for the night?

If you decide to ask yourself that question every 30 min. or so or after you lose a big pot and you are honest with yourself, it helps. The problem is that when you are tilting, you are by definition not acting rationally.

Cliff Notes: I like your plan.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM

I'm not a fan of giving passwords out.

Most sites have an "exclude me from playing" option. You select it and all you playing activity is suspended until the selected period has expired.