Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL*** LOST Season 3 Episode 17 Discussion -spoiler free-

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the writers had said everything on the show was theoretically possible... Seeing the future ? how the [censored] is that theoretically possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what your religious beliefs happen to be, but the main religiion in the U.S. is Christianity and the Bible gives examples of people able to tell the future IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, well then it must be possible then. If a 2,000 year old book written by uneducated shepherds says it's so, it must be so.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This parachute girl better be able to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe she only speaks portuguese, but that's ok.. because that guy paolo will rise from his sandy grave to act as an interpreter

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly somehow the others were watching and dug them up, knowing what had happened.

or there was air getting down and they survived on rain water and the bugs that crawled into their mouths.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Doesn't this episode kind of define Desmond as the most important character on the show?

I mean as far back as 1995 Dharma or whoever seems to have been guiding Desmond towards the island--he said he was about to get married then blackedout and woke up in the middle of the street with that priet guy standing above him who is friends with the crazy time travel chick and who knows Penny etc.

I can't see any way that the writers can kill Demsond off until the end of the show.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:23 PM

another thought: we've only seen 2 ways in which people come/go from the island. from underwater (sub) and way up high (planes and what I think it a high altitude helicopter). Desmond tried to leave in a boat, couldn't. we haven't seen Michael/Walt since they left.

perhaps there is some kind of field (like the sonic field) around the island which makes approaching it in standard ways impossible
Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM

But Desmond arrived in a boat.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the more impressive thing is the pilot knew how to get there. I know she didn't land as planned but if there is a way to get there, then they can come with more help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I imagine that will be revealed when we next see their camp on the island. Next week? I am looking forward to Desmond's girl's backstory.

[/ QUOTE ]

my unfortunate guess is that this whole subplot isn't touched next week. it'll be back in 2 or 3 weeks, around the time they get to Locke's dad.

if next week is about Sun and her baby and Juliette I'm going to stab myself with a spork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get it ready. Please just add something else to make it interesting. The bad shows this season have been VERY bad, they could try to make them at least bearable.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the cross in the church where desmond was...is the same one in Ecko's church.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just because both scenes were filmed at the same church, i don't think we should read anything into that other than that church is convenient to film at.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so did Rousseau (sp?)
Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so did Rousseau (sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]

uggh, never mind.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 PM

I re-read this and decided since it talks about some things which weren't in this episode that it might be considered spoilerish. I don't think it is as it doesn't talk about anything which hasn't been in a previous episode and isn't based on any inside knowledge, and it certainly could be way off.

I don't want to put it in white because I want to know what other people think about this, but just in case:

<font color="white">
I thought about what kind of range helicopters have after watching last night also. A little Googling showed that they generally have a range of 400-600 miles. So the idea that they must be relatively close to civilization has to have something to it.

I guess we already knew this in a way, though, because the drug smugglers' plane was able to make it to the island as well. That airplane couldn't have had much more than an 800-1000 mile range either. I guess the helicopter does narrow things down a bit, though, because they would have been planning a round trip whereas the people in the plane might have been headed somewhere which took them over the island on the way.

That also reminded me of an idea that crossed my mind a long time ago that I don't think I've seen much talk of around here. Most people assume the island is somewhere in the South Pacific. There's certainly good reason to believe this, because it should be if it was going from Sydney to Los Angeles and then tried to turn back toward Fiji.

However, I'd always thought it was strange that the big plane crash happened during the day. After all, the plane left Sydney in the early afternoon and supposedly was in the air travelling east toward Los Angeles for about 8 hours. If this were the case the crash should have occurred at night.

At first I just figured it was because they wanted the crash/aftermath scene to be as dramatic as possible and shooting it during the day would just technically be easier. However, they're paying attention to details like this with Lost. So I think the fact that it crashed during the day instead of night is important.

So, again, if the plane left heading east from Sydney and was in the air for 8 hours, it should have been the time of departure + 8 hours + whatever time they gained by travelling east when they crashed. If, however, it was travelling west for some reason -- like, say, toward somewhere that a small plane leaving from somewhere in Africa with an 800-1000 mile range could have gotten to -- it would have crashed at time of departure + 8 hours - whatever time they lost by travelling west, and a late-afternoon crash could have happened.

I haven't looked into this much, but I imagine some African countries are former Portuguese colonies, so this might tie into the men at the listening station and the Portuguese version of Catch-22 as well.

<font color="black">If you read this and have some thoughts but think they're spoilerish, please PM me. Likewise, if a mod reads this and thinks it's OK please feel free to un-white it.</font>