Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Turn Play?

Fairly new to the table, but it has been overall very passive pf, with an average of 3-5 limpers per pot. Only other real read that I have is that the BB is extremely short stacked, like around 6bb. My main question is on the turn, but, of course, comments on the rest of the hand up to that point are always welcome.

-J

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12SB, 6 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, SB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8BB, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Turn Play?

I would raise the flop. 12 SB is too big of a pot to be slowplaying. I would also raise the turn since SB would probably call drawing dead with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and will give you bonus action if he has the flush already and will also call drawing to two outs or less with Kx.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 AM

I raise the turn. Aside from the case 7x and some small pocket pairs, I think most hands that call 1 will call 2 (Kx, 4x, flush, x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only other real read that I have is that the BB is extremely short stacked, like around 6bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise the turn because there's a good chance he will stack off against you with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flush or a king.

While the prospect of having a flush raise behind you allowing you to call/RR is very tempting, I think those times that the callers just call with Kx or 7x, you lose too much.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:23 AM

fps blah
Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 AM

raise more
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 AM

[grunch]

I hate limp/reraising as a practice, and I have no idea if it's even worth considering at these stakes (will it ever cause anyone to fold behind you?), but FWIW, this would be the perfect scenario to LRR &amp; try to get it heads up with the short-stacked BB preflop. Of course this is a bad idea if you don't believe he'd raise from that position without a big pocket pair.

As a general rule of thumb, whenever I flop a set on a drawy board I am raising at every opportunity on the flop. If someone has the draw, they'll call. If someone has another strong hand, they'll call or reraise. The fact of the matter is that, unless BB has KK, you have a huge equity advantage in this pot, even if the turn is a non-4 heart. Since your opponents are far more likely to make bad calls on the flop, this is the time to collect those bets...especially since BB is also short-stacked, and it might be to your advantage to create a side pot.

I am also raising the turn. Anyone with a flush will (at least) call, anyone with a single big heart will (at least) call, and anyone with a decent K will also probably come along for the ride. It's also nice that (by my count) BB is now down to around 3.5 BBs and will almost certainly stack off the rest of it, allowing you to cap.

[/grunch]
Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 AM

I play by the book (most of the time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), and that book is SSHE and i just happen to be revising the slowplaying chapter.
And its guidance on this is "never slowplay in big pots".
That, coupled with the fact that there is a draw out there, means i'm raising this flop. Not only have you a huge edge on the flop but by raising you charge any drawing hands the maxiumum to draw.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:36 AM

I raise the flop. I raise the turn. I raise the river.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 AM

raise flop.

as played turn call is good.