Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: 50 NL- Overpair, does this donker actually have a set?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you didnt want to play for stacks here you should have checked behind on the turn and reevaluate the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty important point. Did you put him on a set on the flop? Did you think it was a set because he reraised?

If you were worried about being beat, you should probably control the pot by checking the turn, that way he can't go nuts of the river because of the pot size and you can take the line of check/call or if he checks turn and river, bet then.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have an excellent point, i totally agree.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM

The donk could be a blocking bet with a 35. Would make sense, wouldn't it?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 PM

I raise flop and check turn here.

I think after flop I'm trying to balance getting some value from my good hand (from TP/PPs) with some pot control (as I'll rarely get 3 streets of value from this 16/6 villain anyway and his flop call worries me a bit).

Villain blocking a draw on the flop seems unlikely given texture and preflop action, so on turn I am not really worried about giving a free card. There are 6 outers but meh to them.

So I'll check turn firstly to control pot and secondly, from a value perspective, as I'm more likely get a call on river from TP than on turn (or on both turn and river).

Furtermore, checking cuts out chance of being c/r, perhaps even bluff c/r (although that's a very rare play at these stakes IMO).

On the river, I'll vb if checked to and probably call a vb from villain and expect to win. If that bet turns out to be with a set, then I've lost the minimum given I checked turn. And if he is betting with TP, then I have gotten my 2 streets of value, which is good. If villain puts in a huge bluff bet I might sometimes get that decision wrong by folding, but IMO that doesn't happen often enough to make checking turn a huge EV mistake.

(Just IMO).
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM

OP - nice hand.