Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: $3.40 PS 10-seat: small overpair vs. all-in. . . .

Two cards to come, and no more betting, so it's closer to 60-40 I think... and that's IF he has an overpair, which is dependent on your read of course, but this is $3.40 so I'm giving him a larger range than just overs. Plus, wouldn't you expect a reraise with TT+?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 PM

And I don't like playing scared with my big stack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two cards to come, and no more betting, so it's closer to 60-40 I think... and that's IF he has an overpair, which is dependent on your read of course, but this is $3.40 so I'm giving him a larger range than just overs. Plus, wouldn't you expect a reraise with TT+?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea I misread the hand history and didn't see the flop! my bad lol...need to drink the coffee before I respond to these [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]in my experience this type of raise usually means an overpair at the lower levels
Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 PM

I either open limp this or raise 3X. I do not like the bet on the flop, you are out of position with a draw heavy board, I would check and reevaluate. However, As played I would not fold on the turn as you have overs plus a straight draw and are getting 2:1. Plus your play looks a lot like a steal, OOP min raise followed by standard sized continuation bet on a draw heavy board, I would consider reraising you here with any two cards.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM

i would never fold this in a 3.40$

if he has an overpair, you still have 10 outs (including a 7) and i've seen people pushing here with a lot of hands you beat (any 7, any 6, maybe even a 5, any openender and so on)
Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I either open limp this or raise 3X. I do not like the bet on the flop, you are out of position with a draw heavy board, I would check and reevaluate. However, As played I would not fold on the turn as you have overs plus a straight draw and are getting 2:1. Plus your play looks a lot like a steal, OOP min raise followed by standard sized continuation bet on a draw heavy board, I would consider reraising you here with any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmn, I see your point, but are the players at this level really thinking it out this extensively?

I'm thinking the guy has 88, 99, TT, even 78 and I certainly don't see any reraise with 88 or 99.

I still like the min-raise, as it accomplished more or less what I wanted: no more than one caller, and no totally random hands from the blinds. However, I do regret the fold, as I can see a LOT of players at these games making this raise with simply two high overcards, A6, A7, etc. . .
Old 04-18-2007, 03:11 PM

Preflop I don't like open limping, once the blinds get to 50/100 I'm raising or folding. You have a strong hand for your position. Raise to 300 to try and take down 150 in blinds, which is worth stealing.

On the flop after you bet the flop I'm instacalling villains all in. There's 2600 in the pot and it costs you 1250 to call. Not only are you getting great odds to beat an over pair you also could be ahead of tptk or a fd.

Edit: I call with a smile as I'm sure I'm ahead most of the time, if not I have a [censored] ton of outs.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 PM

What kind of raise is 2x mid position? That screams out weak hand, and whoever calls you pretty much can just push you around. As played, fold flop. Mid stack's obviously not afraid of you. You don't beat much here, as he could easily has a set or higher overpair or overcards + flush draw.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM

aside from the slight chance that we're up against a set, we're almost definately up against a higher pair...9's, 10's, something like that. But at this level (I just moved up from there) you'll also see this move enough times with something like AQc that you also have to figure in the fact that you're ahead sometimes. With your outs and that possibility, I call.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's funny, I actually thought if anything I should have just limped. I thought the raise was technically incorrect, but that with these table conditions it may limit the field or even give me a cheap steal.

are you sure about raising a middle pair in mid pos with 8 players and blinds not particularly high?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the 3.40's if your raising you have to raise strong, even as the blinds go up. That or limp, I didn't think the minraise was an awful mistake or anything, but with something like 7's you'll get a lot of action sometimes that you dont want.