Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Did I let him off the hook too easy?

Been noticing lately that I've been having issues extracting max value out of hands and am trying to plug it. Wondering if this is yet another case of said issue coming up.

PokerStars Tournament - $10/180, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Villain is a complete calling station/maniac. I got to the table about 20 hands ago - in which time he has gone from 23K to his current 9K by doubling up 3 AA's with complete garbage. In one case he called a huge flop bet with 9Td with a single diamond on the flop and no 9 or T. In another case, he played 4's all the way down to the river against the A's.

Hero (t5195)
UTG+1 (t2139)
MP1 (t5475)
MP2 (t6150)
MP3 (t14670)
Villain (t9085)
Button (t1450)
SB (t4690)
BB (t11173)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, Villain calls t800, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t600

Flop: (t2500) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t1200</font>, Villain calls t1200, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Turn: (t4900) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t3195 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">Villain folds</font>

Should I be betting the flop harder to make it an easier call for him on turn? Betting the turn softer to keep him around?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Did I let him off the hook too easy?

Who knows - at first guess, I'd say villain didn't have any piece of this board, or at best a flush draw. Bet the flop a bit harder, say 18-1900, some calling stations will call big bets but not pushes. Other than that, probably not much more you could have done.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Sometimes I see that calling stations will call the flop to see how you react on the turn. Normally, if you end up checking the turn, he'll try and steal the pot from you on the notion that your flop bet was a standard continuation bet and then you shut down due to someone playing back at you. This is most likely the way that he has gained his chips, trying to call people down and catch his cards.

Or, on the flip side, he just sucks at poker.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 PM

I don't think you did anything wrong. You only had 3100 in chips after the flop bet. If he had Ace anything, he was beating you in the pot. More times than not, I feel that you will get a call here so don't be too down on yourself.