Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Default online vs. live

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I play live I am very successful. I play online, I suffer huge bad beats that keep me as break even. It is really frustrating and would love to know if there is anyone else out there like that and if there is differences in the 2 or something that I am not getting. I know this isn't the case but I swear sometimes the sites do bad beats just to keep the suckers around. I suffer them live but how is the success so different.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: online vs. live

online is much, much tougher at the equivalent levels

I say a $1/$2 blind live no-limit game is the same as a $0.10/$0.25 online game
Old 04-18-2007, 02:10 AM

Online is tougher, plus you have much more information live. You actually get to see the other player. If he takes a long time to make a decision you know that he's not fighting with his wife, watching TV, multitabling, or taking a leak.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:24 AM

OTOH online is also kind of easier due to PT/PAHUD; I find it hard to play live as I'm thinking about villains using their stats and I have none on the live people, just a general sense of them being loose or not.

I don't know how to learn that.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:31 AM

Stats would be meaningless and tedious live anyway. In one session you MAY get a decent sample size on ONE player. I use lots of things including whether they're very talkative and such. Live play is much softer than online IMO because of that like...6th sense sorta crap. It has taken me 250k hands to really understand what stats mean and how to utilize them to extrapolate what the villian is thinking and all that. Even after that much I'm not really sure.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 AM

I love playing live as I am able to get into many more hands since being able to see how players react for me is KEY. I watch the other donks at the table and exploit the reads i get on them steady.

Its all in the hands y0!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:10 AM

I only played live for a couple of weekends in Vegas. Seemed like even the good $1-2NL players were very exploitable, and the $2-5NL games weren't tougher than $.25-.50NL online. Playing live during the weekend was unreal. Some of the players were so bad, that I'm still amazed. I think the average online small stakes games are full of experienced players, whereas the live games are full of drunken gamblers. The decent live players are playing 35 hands an hour as opposed to decent online players who are playing hundreds of hands an hour.

It's very possible that you are a much better player than the live players, but not as good as the online players.

Post some hands here for review.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only played live for a couple of weekends in Vegas. Seemed like even the good $1-2NL players were very exploitable, and the $2-5NL games weren't tougher than $.25-.50NL online. Playing live during the weekend was unreal. Some of the players were so bad, that I'm still amazed. I think the average online small stakes games are full of experienced players, whereas the live games are full of drunken gamblers. The decent live players are playing 35 hands an hour as opposed to decent online players who are playing hundreds of hands an hour.

It's very possible that you are a much better player than the live players, but not as good as the online players.

Post some hands here for review.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this sumd it up pretty well. Alos add in the fact that you will see a lot more hands in a shorter amount of time. It will make you think you are getting bad beats more often.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 AM

I understand that I am seeing way more hands online as I will see more bad beats but I have been on such a bad streak lately that it is crazy. I do agree that live I do get inside their heads more just because I speak with them and hear what they have to say. Sometimes they give away their strategy.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 AM

I used to do well party poker same limits until that shut down too. plus what is killing me is poor play. Last night I was killed in huge pots by runner runner 4 times.