Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: PLO8 STT\'s

These sngs seem high variance to me.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 AM

In my experience.. which is about 1000 of these sngs's.. I have less varaince and more $ than NLH sng's.. however.. I'm a better omaha player than I am at NL. I was something like 18% roi in the 16's.. then I moved up to the 32's or 33's whatever they are on stars.. when 7 of the 9 people actually have a clue it's a totally different ball game. In the 6's and 16's there are usually at least 4 people at the table that have no idea what is going on. Maybe I just hit a bad streak when I moved up to the 30's.. but nevertheless.. my variance went through the roof.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few that high, but not that many. So many hands are 45-55 all in when they get high. Are you playing regulars or Turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've dropped to around the 18% mark after a few bubbles. Very annoying! I play the turbo's. It's a long term quest for me. I started with the $5+0.50's the the $10+1's and then I moved quickly to the $15+1 because they are faster and not so badly raked.

I think I'm reasonably happy with my play, and the ideas floated seem similar to my style of play. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few that high, but not that many. So many hands are 45-55 all in when they get high. Are you playing regulars or Turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've dropped to around the 18% mark after a few bubbles. Very annoying! I play the turbo's. It's a long term quest for me. I started with the $5+0.50's the the $10+1's and then I moved quickly to the $15+1 because they are faster and not so badly raked.

I think I'm reasonably happy with my play, and the ideas floated seem similar to my style of play. Thanks for the input guys.

[/ QUOTE ]So you're making a decent ROI at the $16 turbos? I've played all the way up to $32 in the past but I figured optimal strategy for these things so simple that maintaining a good ROI must be difficult. Plus I enjoy the nearly zero-variance experience I get with 12-tabling the $3 ones, making like $8/hr. I think I'll have to add in $6+.50's to my sessions and drop down to 8-tabling for a while to focus on strategy.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 PM

I believe that the winrate is usually lower than NLHE and the variance higher.

I believe the winrate is lower in PLO8 simply because you will rarely have people in as much trouble in PLO8 as you will in NLHE. If you are better than the competition in NLHE, you will find yourself much further ahead much more frequently preflop, on the flop, and on the turn.

I think the variance is higher because you will play a lot of very nearly even money gambles in almost every one of these things. Of course, some of this is mediated by the fact that more pots will be chopped. but overall, I think they are a bit of a crap shoot.

I have a modest but positive ROI in PLO8 STTs, but I do much better in NLHE STTs. I am a much bigger winner in PLO8 cash games than I am in NLHE.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the winrate is usually lower than NLHE and the variance higher.

I believe the winrate is lower in PLO8 simply because you will rarely have people in as much trouble in PLO8 as you will in NLHE. If you are better than the competition in NLHE, you will find yourself much further ahead much more frequently preflop, on the flop, and on the turn.

I think the variance is higher because you will play a lot of very nearly even money gambles in almost every one of these things. Of course, some of this is mediated by the fact that more pots will be chopped. but overall, I think they are a bit of a crap shoot.

I have a modest but positive ROI in PLO8 STTs, but I do much better in NLHE STTs. I am a much bigger winner in PLO8 cash games than I am in NLHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you are saying about the crap shoot element and I believe it. I think you just have to get in a position to give yourself a chance. I think that's all you can do.

In the meantime - what cash games would you recommend? Sites and levels I mean. And what kind of roll required? I'm sure these questions are asked all the time... sorry if it's tedious.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 PM

i enjoy this stt's very much and it seems that high aggression levels is what really gets the money, stick to both way hands and of course sometimes you ll bubble but keep away from middling hands early on as sometimes you think you ll be ahead but you will not.
Push the A2 advantage all the way to the bank as you have massive amounts of fold equity
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 PM

My ROI on Stars STTs is 27% last time checked.

At the $15 & $32s, O8 is lower variance/higher ROI
for me. Im a better O8 player than NLHE.

I rarely play above $32 STTs, although when I have
played them, I didnt think they were much harder than
the $32s. In NLHE however, $32+ seemed to be a good
deal harder than the lower levels.

Below $15s NLHE is easier, very few play decent.

Also, I question those who say they make $5k/month
at $15/$32 O8 Sngs on Stars. There isnt enough of
them to sustain that rate, IMHO.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 PM

You would be surprised how many morons play the $35 and $60 SNGs...I'm willing to guess the skill level isn't THAT much greater than at the $15s..
Old 04-21-2007, 12:26 AM

Yeah, I don't really no with NLHE since I don't play
it that much. But with o8 there are certainly some
softer games at 32+ level, but they don't go off that
often either, except shortly after they introduced
the bigger stt plo8 turbo games, there were quite a
few running in the couple weeks after.