$0.25/$0.50 Blinds
5 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">Stoneflip (SB): $98.85</font>
BB: $27.30
UTG: $18.45
CO: $52.35
BTN: $43.35

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Stoneflip is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, CO raises to $1.75, BTN folds, Stoneflip calls $1.50, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($4) 2 8 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Stoneflip bets $4, CO raises to $16
hero????
Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Top pair facing a big raise

Preflop: Fold. If I think CO is making a positional steal I might reraise. However, I probably wouldn't do it with K9s.

Flop: Fold. Villian raised preflop and made a large raise on the flop. Looks like overpair to me. I don't want to put in a large portion of my stack with only a pair of nines without a huge read.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:10 AM

Thx I thought this was a little loosey Goosey [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM

I probably fold preflop too.

What I don't like is the lead on the flop. I see this all too often on these 8,and 9 high boards. Blinds call a Laggish players late position raise preflop, and then donk into them. I think this allows the villain to outplay us too often if they want.

It's not too hard for a villain to pull the trigger if they want, and put in a good size raise to represent the over pair. It is highly likely that the hero will than fold a one pair hand since in all likleyhood they do not want to go broke with it. Easy money for villain, not much risk.

I would prefer to check this flop to villain, and then either call or raise the pretty much guaranteed c-bet. It's gonna take a lot more courage to than 3 bet our checkraise, and if that's what happens we can be much surer that our hand is no good, and fold.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 AM

I dont have a problem with seeing a flop, and totally agree with what Dastone just said
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM

Fold preflop
Check-raise flop. He will try to get the money in if he has an overpair, and you can fold. But you beat a big part of his raising range here, obviously.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably fold preflop too.

What I don't like is the lead on the flop. I see this all too often on these 8,and 9 high boards. Blinds call a Laggish players late position raise preflop, and then donk into them. I think this allows the villain to outplay us too often if they want.

It's not too hard for a villain to pull the trigger if they want, and put in a good size raise to represent the over pair. It is highly likely that the hero will than fold a one pair hand since in all likleyhood they do not want to go broke with it. Easy money for villain, not much risk.

I would prefer to check this flop to villain, and then either call or raise the pretty much guaranteed c-bet. It's gonna take a lot more courage to than 3 bet our checkraise, and if that's what happens we can be much surer that our hand is no good, and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah bad preflop, but the as to the c-raise post flop, do i really want to inflate the pot out of position? Or is check/call too passive?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM

I don't think check call is too passive at all. I will often just call it myself, and then evaluate the turn card, plus my read on villains flop bet, and then decide whether to lead or check again to induce another bluff. This would be a good way to try and keep the pot small, and let villain possibly bet our hand for us.

No, you don't want to "inflate the pot" out of position, but you do want to protect your hand if it is the best, and/or get value with it. You should be willing to sometimes checkraise this flop to try and take it down now. If villain just calls then you got to figure out what he has, and then play the turn accordingly. There are a few draws out there, and if a safe card comes I would fire out a 2/3 pot bet, and go from there. If a card comes that completes one of the draws you will probably have to bet, because if checked to I can almost guarantee this opponnent will be taking a shot at the pot. So maybe go with 1/2 pot bet in that case. Unless your read is that that card absolutely helped him than you should check.

If you don't want to face the tougher decisions that come with check raising such an aggressive opponnent than you should call, and be content to play the pot passively. If you have got a hand that has possible showdown potential, and are capable of calling, and winning, than being passive is not a huge problem IMO.