Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Default split my workout into 2 days

Right now I am looking for a 2 day split. Here are the workouts I am doing all in one day (wrong I know) so I would like to split into 2

superset...
Dumbell Bench - 3x15
incline dumbell bench 3x15

Decline dumbell bench 2x15
low row machine 3x15
dips... as many as I can
dumbell bicep curls 2x15
dumbell hammer curls 2x15
Tricep extensions laying down 2x15
Standing Tricep press (cable) 2x15
Frontal raises 2x15
Iso-lateral chest machine - 2x~10
Iso lateral row 2x15
Standing shrugs (machine) 2 x 15-20

I need a good Shoulder workout because the shoulder press machine doesn't really do it for me (possible i'm too tall? 6'5)

I do all of my lowerbody in one day so it would really be a three day split. I do a Vsquat machine and lots of abs/core stuff. Looking for any comments on where is a good place to split this into 2 so I am working the right muscle groups. Not necessarily looking for massive gains b/c I would like to keep a athletic figure. Any suggestions on other workouts to toss in there would be cool as well. Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: split my workout into 2 days

I'm also very new to lifting so keep the your an idiot comments to yourself plz thx [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Have you read these forums at all?

Buy Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 PM

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1475469
Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 PM

Youre new, and thats ok, also no offense, but it shows.

Starting tips:

- The book mentioned previously is one of many good possible starting points to gain info on working out: other include t-nation.com and crossfit.com

-You should do as many lifts as you can away from machines using free weights. It is hard to get the hang of at first and yeah it'll hurt your ego to be picking up the light dumbbells but long term its the only way to go

-Your workout selection is pretty weak: Squats??? (Your squat machine is far from the real deal) Deadlifts??? even Olympic style lifting in general, though again hard to get the hang out at first, has a huge amount of value in building overall muscle and strength. The book and sites mentioned previously will help you with this and with learning other exercises

- "Not necessarily looking for massive gains b/c I would like to keep a athletic figure." ... No problem... if you gain 40lbs of muscle in your first year I'll personally 1- not believe you 2- apologize for you being big...no worries. Also dont see how more muscle = less athletic build
Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Ordering Starting Stregnth book now off Amazon as I type this. "If you're gonna do it, do it right"
Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 PM

How about a workout that does gives a full body workout 3 times a week?

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...1&pageNo=0
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ordering Starting Stregnth book now off Amazon as I type this. "If you're gonna do it, do it right"

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty good book, you'll learn a lot from it. It seems as if it's got a cult following here. It's not my favorite book in my strength training library, but I think it'll help things out more than asking 8 billion questions.

For specifics with the book or anything else, ask away.

P.S. Anytime someone can afford to train twice in one day they should for the most part. All things being equal, 90 minute workout all at once is much less effective than two 45 minute workouts.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty good book, you'll learn a lot from it. It seems as if it's got a cult following here. It's not my favorite book in my strength training library, but I think it'll help things out more than asking 8 billion questions.

For specifics with the book or anything else, ask away.

P.S. Anytime someone can afford to train twice in one day they should for the most part. All things being equal, 90 minute workout all at once is much less effective than two 45 minute workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say the most valuable thing in the book is the detailed instruction on how to perform the major lifts. The program is also good for beginners.

I'd like to hear any criticisms you have as well. Have you read "Practical Programming" by Rippetoe? If so, I'd like to hear your review.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Oh it's a great book without a doubt. Me saying it isn't my most read or most referenced book isn't really a knock on it as much as praise for some other texts.

The best books ever written on the subject remain Supertraining (Siff) and Science and Practice of Strength Training (Zatsiorsky). These are advanced texts though which may be very difficult to read without some background in exercise science.

Practical Programming in a nutshell kicks ass.