Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: \"Before the Movie\"

[ QUOTE ]
I think the fast and the furious followed the ricer scene, not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree by a large amount...The ricer scene was beginning and more or less underground to "mainstream" America before Fast and Furious. Fast and Furious made the scene mainstream and started the enormous ricer craze that followed the movie for atleast 4 years.

Yes, people tuned imports before FATF, much like people played poker before Moneymaker and flyfished before ARRTI, but it was the Fast and the Furious that made the sector what it was during that time period.

DG
Old 04-14-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest wave of all that I can think of is Pele's influence on soccer in America.
Before he came over the N.Y. Cosmos were practically a semi-pro team getting 1k fans or fewer for some games.
They were selling out Giants Stadium to 70k+ just a few yrs later after getting Pele.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a teenager in NYC in the 70's. I first got into soccer in '74 after one of the Cosmos came to talk to our sixth grade class--and handed out a goody bag which included a Cosmos button.

After enough whining, my father took my brother and me to a Cosmos game at Yankee Stadium. We got fully swept up into the Cosmos wave after they moved to the Meadowlands. I can still remember the insanely electric atmosphere near the end of one game at Giants Stadium--70,000+ people on their feet singing and screaming to Queen's We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions as the clock ticked down to a victory.

I'm getting a bit of chill now just thinking about it.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:25 PM

chesspain - Awesome!

You should definitely find the documentary I mentioned titled 'The Time of Their Lives' I believe.

It was on ESPN a few months ago and was freaking fantastic.
I wasn't even there. I was just a kid in Ohio who played little-league soccer on a team called the Storm and occasionally watched the syndicated NASL-weekly (soccer's version of This Week In Baseball).

Without even having been there at all I practically got chills at some of the footage and coverage. But part of this might have just been by how well it was produced/edited (I sometimes get like that sometimes when I feel a producer REALLY hit it with the music, pace, editing in a given piece).

If you're getting chills just thinking about it from this thread I suspect the documentary would just blow you away.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You should definitely find the documentary I mentioned titled 'The Time of Their Lives' I believe...If you're getting chills just thinking about it from this thread I suspect the documentary would just blow you away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it--and for some reason, I didn't really enjoy it. Maybe it did too good of a job capturing the feel of NYC in the 70's...dirty, dank, depressing, etc.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully "An Inconvenient Truth" will spawn some sort of action against global warming.

[/ QUOTE ]

hopefully people will see move than one movie before making up their minds on important issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

The actions proposed by AIT to remedy global warming are +EV for the planet (even if global warming is [censored]) so I have no qualms with people following the core of it's advice.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM

Weird. It totally blew me away.

Oh well. Different tastes.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:17 PM

I'm waiting for the D&D movie that makes us all geeky role-players look like gods, and we can act all elite and condescending to newbies. But i'm not holding my breath.

natedogg