Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Top set on a bad flop, badly misplayed

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t2700)
Button (t1195)
SB (t945)
Hero (t1480)
UTG (t645)
MP1 (t2130)
MP2 (t1350)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, CO calls t200, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: (t600) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t950</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1230</font>, CO calls t280.

Turn: (t3060) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t3060) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3060

I know, I know, shoulda bet more preflop (and on the flop initially presumably, even though it eventually all went in), but how much is good?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Top set on a bad flop, badly misplayed

Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see how this is misplayed. You bet 5xBB preflop (3xbb + 1bb/limper). And then you put in 2/3 of the pot in there on a scary flop. Maybe a PSB might have been better, but it looks like CO was going to push anyway. I see nothing wrong with this play. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: Maybe a fold after the flop raise. It's pretty difficult to do though, especially without reads.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM

Ok maybe you should raise alittle more pre-flop but it's not awful by any means. 300 is what I would do.

As played I get it all in. Your flop bet commits you. Even if villian has the flush already we are drawing to a boat.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM

I dunno, maybe I did play it right, just lately I'm beginning to question everything I do. The villian had Jc Tc for a flopped flush which led me to think that maybe my PF bet was too weak. (but maybe thats too results oriented)
Post flop, I'll admit I had no idea how much to bet, just didnt want to check with that flop.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, maybe I did play it right, just lately I'm beginning to question everything I do. The villian had Jc Tc for a flopped flush which led me to think that maybe my PF bet was too weak. (but maybe thats too results oriented)
Post flop, I'll admit I had no idea how much to bet, just didnt want to check with that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you wish JTs wold fold preflop? I'm elated that he called. Unlucky flop, and after the flop bet I am going broke w/ 33% redraw.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM

I would have played it the same and IMO you played it perfectly.
Okay, my flop bet would have been just a bit more. But getting it in on the flop is the only right thing to do.