Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: 100 PLO middle set + bare ace, unraised pot OOP

Glass, I'm not quite getting your message. I wouldn't think of C/Cing the flop and turn hoping for the board to pair. I'm worried that the bet flop, bet turn line will put about 20-40% of my stack in there on turn which makes an uncomfortable river situation if a draw completes. However, if I get 60%+ of my stack in there on the turn, OOP players can't make a scary river bluff (although if they're passive they probably never would anyway). However, bet flop, CR turn is an interesting option if I feel that someone bet the turn, interpreting my check as weakness.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Sorry, my brain moves faster than I can type. BY c/c flop, c/c turn I was responding to ribbo's "keep it small" comment, as you can't get it all in the flop (which I also think is not optimal). the only way to 'keep it small' is to c/c flop, c/c turn, as someone is betting this hand on the TURN EVERY TIME, right??? Blank, spade, broadway, etc. They might check a board pair, but we've already talked about that.

And I was saying that that line is awful, and it sounds like you agreee. No implied odds, cant draw profitably.

I see the turn like this.

You are either 75% favorite against a single caller, on a blank
* a 25% dog if the st8 hits
*a 25% dog if the flush hits, but since there is 2+ psb left over, you can easily bluff the flush (BLUSH) and be successful 90% of the time in my experience, and have odds if not
*some of the time you will be drawing to 1 out, but not terrifically often
*if the pot goes multiway with bets and raises on the turn you are morelikely to be against kk than bottom set, and even if you went all in against a made st8 and bottom set, that situation isn't profitable enough to make up for the times you get it in at 3% against KK + made hand (or draw).

At a passive table (making bottom set pushes LESS Likely) I don't see any profitable line here if you don't have the balls to pull a blush. You just don't have the implied odds to hit the FH, you will always be charged on the turn to keep drawing, and sometimes you are up against KK.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM

I don't think ribbo was advocating a C/C line, but anyway. The point I'm trying to make here is that I think your flop strategy in these cases should try to set things up for a sizable turn bet on a safe card. As I mentioned before, I think it's bad to have a flop strategy which sets up a turn pot of like $20 if I'm not in position. If I gotta bet $20 on a turn blank, I'm going to have like >$70 left on river, which may put me to a tough decision OOP. In this case, I'd rather CR the turn, which would get in almost my whole stack, but I have no guarantee of a bet. So if I check-call flop, that might result in a turn pot of ~$20 that I can CR a safe card, but now I have no idea if I'm against KK.

Alternatively, I could lead the flop, and get a few callers, resulting a turn pot ~$20-$30, but now leading a safe turn card puts me in the same position as before with tough river decisions. So, here I could try a turn CR, feigning weakness, like I'm on a draw. It might be less likely I'm against KK at this point since I would have probably got a positional raise from KK on the flop.

The other line I was thinking was to try for a small check-raise on the flop, to try to build a multiway pot (like in this situation) of ~$40-50. Now I can make a big turn bet on a safe card, cut my opponents' implied odds on the river, and make my river decisions easy. The other benefit of a small CR on the flop is that it might force KK to reveal itself on the flop, and I can make that turn lead with confidence.

In all these situations, it's important to keep the blush in mind. However, I think it's more convincing if I can make a big bet on the river. At this level there are lots of douches that will call turn with some non-nut flush or call with two pair or something. So if the flush hits on the turn, it may take a big river bet to shake them loose (or I can get paid big if they hit some worse FH). In this case a $40 pr $20 turn pot are both ok. For the $40 pot, I can make a $20 turn bet, and ~$65 river bet (hopefully into $80). Plus the turn bet kinda serves as a blocking bet. For a $20 turn pot, I can just pot both streets.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:14 PM

i call the turn hoping for a safe card than CR big on the turn. with that draw heavy board, one call gives people the chance to call. sometimes i would raise the flop and live with the results. but most times call ,CR big on turn
Old 04-20-2007, 04:50 AM

I agree with ribbo here - a 1/2-3/4 sized pot bet will define your hand easily enough, and flush out any KK. when they all call this bet you can re-evaluate on the turn, where i will pot any card that doesent make an obvious straight.