Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: KQ Flops Top Two on Worst Board Ever

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $120</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care what anybody says, two pair is never good here.

[/ QUOTE ]come on, sometimes you chop here.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you have very close to only 1/3rd of a buyin, this is a mind numbingly easy decision. If he is calling your bets a lot and folding flops then he is probably a pretty terrible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, although I'd replace terrible with sub-optimal because I myself am not very good yet. I was quite shocked with his preflop call to be perfectly honest.

soda
Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $120</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care what anybody says, two pair is never good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I agree with the exception that never is a bad word in poker. Top two is hardly ever good here IMO. Villain wants to get all the money in as quietly as possible. His line reps a big, big hand and on this board only AT and T9 are big.

My short stack has made this hand uninteresting to most posters, but let's say effective stacks are normal $600 straight. So, once the villain minreraises on the flop what should Hero do here?

My own line would be to smooth call in position and reevaluate the turn folding to any half pot bet or higher with a blank turn. Does that sound reasonable? Same thing with larger stacks.

soda
Old 04-17-2007, 03:36 PM

anyreason you raised to 24 utg with KQo? With your stack size you have to get it in here. If it were bigger say 100 BB or bigger, I probably fold. Also, you are thinking about tihs hand wayyy too hard for the amount of money you are sitting with.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:38 PM

I'd consider small ball as well. Call the flop. Get a read on the turn and use position. If you do not get a read, keep the pot small by calling value bets. If he overbets, consider a bluff or medium hand as a distinct possibility.

Or you could call and consider a turn raise or bet to smoke out what he has.

Cool hand. Lots of options, but i don't think folding to a $12 bet into a $51 pot is much of an option.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM

lol if you are going to fold any turn except K or Q, you might as well fold flop
Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyreason you raised to 24 utg with KQo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, that's been standard for me if the table is giving up blinds pretty easily (tightish table) which it was. I will only dump this if the table is pretty aggro and I'm likely to face a three bet or floaters/tough players.

Would you recommend a different line for a half stack? Short stack I fold it. Full buy in and higher, I've been making this standard raise.

soda
Old 04-17-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyreason you raised to 24 utg with KQo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, that's been standard for me if the table is giving up blinds pretty easily (tightish table) which it was. I will only dump this if the table is pretty aggro and I'm likely to face a three bet or floaters/tough players.

Would you recommend a different line for a half stack? Short stack I fold it. Full buy in and higher, I've been making this standard raise.

soda

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to add that at the time it was 5 handed. Also, I'd experimented with open raising to 3x the BB from the button, and both times I was called and played back at post flop by two separate players (SB, BB). Could have been a co-incedence (sp?), but I abandoned that strategy on that table and always raised to 24 after.

It's amazing how the mind remembers this crap.

soda
Old 04-17-2007, 05:42 PM

soda, weren't you like the man a few years back doing one of those relatively sick, 100k in 100 days type challenges. If my memory serves me correctly you completely housed the thing...

Now you're making worried posts about flopping top two in a raised pot with only 36 BBs left? What happened man?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
soda, weren't you like the man a few years back doing one of those relatively sick, 100k in 100 days type challenges. If my memory serves me correctly you completely housed the thing...

Now you're making worried posts about flopping top two in a raised pot with only 36 BBs left? What happened man?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm switching games. I played limit exclusively for about 3 years. When all the US law fallout happened, I pulled my bankrolls from everywhere except Stars where I had $500 sitting and I'm rebuilding.

It's been pretty choppy so far as I struggle to find out what is my own mistake and what is just bad luck. I got into the very bad habit of blaming my luck when I should have been blaming my own play. That has cost me quite a bit, but I think I'm out of it now.

Been playing NL short for about two months now and although I'm quite comfortable at the small stakes (finally), the middle stakes scare me a little working this short role. It just makes so much sense to dip your foot in the pool to see if the water is warm before jumping in. So, you'll see me starting with a short stack at the middle limits for a while probably. At least until I'm comfortably rolled again.

soda