Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Sirius Stock - How low will it go?

The merger will happen, by the end of the year. The reason it will happen is the rise of popularity in HD radio(does not stand for high definition). I'm in the business of car audio so I'm constenly talking to both xm and sirius reps. It will happen. Also, my sirius rep said that when it does happen, monthly rates will drop for both and increas in popularity. So I say buy, buy, buy.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious on what some of you think about Sirius Stock right now. It's at $3.08, a 2 year low. I think they have a solid product that is going to get bigger not smaller.

Wondering if it can go much lower and if you think it's a solid buy. I'm starting to think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can only go to zero, so that's only $3.08 from here.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:48 PM

I wouldn't buy Siri until closer to the date of the merger. It won't go up until then so why have your money sit on a stock with no upside. If they merge I think it can go to $5 - $6 range. If they don't merge then look for it to be pushed down to $2. Just my opinion.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:04 PM

A couple of facts:

Sirius and/or XM radio is here to stay. They have taken the DirectTV model and eventually will become profitable and succeed. Talent and unique content drive ratings and subscribers and Sirius/XM has the $$$ to buy the talent. Regular radio is stuck in the stone age and HD or wireless internet isn't going to save anyone when the radio industry can't get people to listen to the stations that are already on the air.

BTW, it's much easier to discuss the valuation of SIRI using enterprise value rather than per share price. The Sirius eneterprise value is currently $5.1 billion and XM's is approximately $4.8 billion. These valuations reflect the deal terms of the merger agreement where both firm's have approximately equal value.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 PM

how does wireless and ipod come into play when I am in the car? I find the ipod being plugged into tape deck is dumb; many new receivers do not have tape decks, only cd.

IMO most of radio listeners are in their cars, not at home. How does this effect sirius in terms of competing w/ ipods/ other radio formats?

I'm I out of line here?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 PM

Can someone explain why they think HD Radio, will have an impact on Sat Radio, and what that impact will be?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does wireless and ipod come into play when I am in the car? I find the ipod being plugged into tape deck is dumb; many new receivers do not have tape decks, only cd.

IMO most of radio listeners are in their cars, not at home. How does this effect sirius in terms of competing w/ ipods/ other radio formats?

I'm I out of line here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The advantage that satellite has over ipods is that you need to program your ipods (by that I mean download any content on it that you want to listen too -- if that has changed recently please let me know). Even if you keep it constantly updated, I would imagine that you would like to hear something else every now and then, if for nothing else just to hear what is new. And one of the big reasons ipods in cars are so popular is that the public radio sucks for the most part. Satellite is much better, but how well it competes with something like an ipod will vary a lot from person to person i think. The market is definitely big enough for both.

With satellite radio, you just tune to one of your many stations and are listening to much better content than you can currently get off of any am/fm radio station, and the music is commercial free.

Not sure how music and copyrights and all that will work with wifi and HD radio and all that (by this I mean if the RIAA is going to try to crack down over "free" music being broadcast over the airwaves). Satellite will also have all pro sporting events, howard stern, etc... and other content that people are willing to pay for.