Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 03:02 PM

Default FLO8 kill and half kill strategy adjustments?

I'm going to be playing FLO8 with a kill and/or half kill in a few days. I've never played with a kill before. What are the major strategy adjustments?

I assume if you're putting out the kill then you've got to loosen way up pf. Correct? What else?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: FLO8 kill and half kill strategy adjustments?

Aside from the obvious things (such as the fact that youll probably have to call in an unraised pot from the BB preflop) there arent really any big adjustments necessitated by the structure (at least none that I can think of).

However, sometimes your opponents will play differently (Ive seen some people play more loose passive, and others play more aggressively. One player I know raises over half the time preflop in kill pots). Your main adjustment will be reacting to the crazy changes in your opponents' games.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 PM

I have mostly played full kill games. If the killer is in the SB or BB, I don't think it really plays much different than an ordinary game. However, some people play looser because of the 'big pot', and some play tighter due to the higher stakes.

If the killer is not in the blinds, then it makes a lot of difference where they are relative to you. If the killer raises UTG, you can often isolate against them even in a game where a normal reraise will get called cold. On the other hand, you will have a hard time buying the button with a raise with the killer behind you. It is seldom correct to fold for one bet in LO8 when you have position on the raiser. The one player who can often buy the button is the killer. I will raise with most playable starting hands if I am the killer, hoping to buy the button.

IMO, half-kill games play almost the same as games where somebody has posted blinds in an ordinary game.

Effen
Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM

I like to raise pre-flop frequently, as you often will get to play a lot of shorthanded pots with significant dead money in the pot from the blinds and the killer.