Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Live Satelitte SB/BB Hand Line Check

We're 10 handed where top 3 qualify plus the top 2 get a small amount of cash $100 and $50.
$50 buy in.
56 players to start.
Average stack is 40,000
Blinds are 1,000/2,000

I've just been moved to this table and we are 5 handed with 10 players left. (The tables only sat 9 people each go figure)

I've seen Villain show one hand. He was UTG with 35,000 and he pushed with 66 getting everyone to fold out.
He told me he pushed to get Ace rags to fold out.
Villain has seen me show one hand. UTG (Villain) limped and I pushed with 33,000 with AQs. And I showed my AQs.
Villain told me he folded A rag suited

[/b]

Villain (SB) has 36,000 before posting
Hero (BB) has 39,000 before posting

Dealt to Hero - K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB limps, Hero calls.

I thought about raising to 2.5xBB-3BB to push him off but decided to just check.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets 4,000. Villain thinks for about 30 seconds and calls. (16,000 in the pot).

Hee haw, I should have bet 6,000 or 8,000.
If Villain has a flush draw and part of the flop I just gave him the right odds to draw.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks.

Hero has 31,000 behind and Villain has 28,000.

Hero ?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Live Satelitte SB/BB Hand Line Check

Do you know if your table is due to break or if the other table is going to break into yours?

Do you know if seats will be redrawn for the final table?

Is the villain sitting literally on your right or is there an empty seat between you and the villain?

If the villain is going to be on your right for the rest of the tournament I think that you need to raise his limp to 8,000 for metagame purposes. It seems like the villain is looking to avoid confrontations and if you show a willingness to protect your blinds he will likely give you walks in the future, a huge advantage in a satellite situation. If he is going to be on your right for the rest of the tournament you absolutely must discourage him from limping in the small blind.

Flop bet should be 6k but whatever.

Because this is a satellite situation I like a check on the turn for value/pot control. Yes, this means that he can draw out for you for free but Kx is a decent portion of his limping range and because this is a satellite you do not want to bloat the pot to a point that you are playing for stacks. He is unlikely to give you two more streets of value with 8x and because of this a nitty player will often just fold to a turn bet after the K pairs the board. If he has 8x he is drawing dead and if he has 8x he will probably pay you off for one bet on the river. The villain has a maximum of 9 outs on the river but he is often drawing dead, it is not overly risky to let him see a free card here.

I am calling any bet under 10k on a spade river and I am calling a pot sized bet on a nonspade (I am obv raising a K/8/2 river). If he checks to us on the river (spade or nonspade) I am betting 8k and am folding to a check-shove. I am betting full pot on a K/8/2 river.

Obviously live reads can change things.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know if your table is due to break or if the other table is going to break into yours?

Do you know if seats will be redrawn for the final table?

Is the villain sitting literally on your right or is there an empty seat between you and the villain?

If the villain is going to be on your right for the rest of the tournament I think that you need to raise his limp to 8,000 for metagame purposes. It seems like the villain is looking to avoid confrontations and if you show a willingness to protect your blinds he will likely give you walks in the future, a huge advantage in a satellite situation. If he is going to be on your right for the rest of the tournament you absolutely must discourage him from limping in the small blind.

Flop bet should be 6k but whatever.

Because this is a satellite situation I like a check on the turn for value/pot control. Yes, this means that he can draw out for you for free but Kx is a decent portion of his limping range and because this is a satellite you do not want to bloat the pot to a point that you are playing for stacks. He is unlikely to give you two more streets of value with 8x and because of this a nitty player will often just fold to a turn bet after the K pairs the board. If he has 8x he is drawing dead and if he has 8x he will probably pay you off for one bet on the river. The villain has a maximum of 9 outs on the river but he is often drawing dead, it is not overly risky to let him see a free card here.

I am calling any bet under 10k on a spade river and I am calling a pot sized bet on a nonspade (I am obv raising a K/8/2 river). If he checks to us on the river (spade or nonspade) I am betting 8k and am folding to a check-shove. I am betting full pot on a K/8/2 river.

Obviously live reads can change things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good stuff thank you.

Whichever table loses the next player will be broken into the other table.
Seats will not be redrawn for the final table.
There are two empty chairs in between Villain and I so it isn't a sure thing he will always be driectly on my right.

I checked behind Villain for pot control and to give him a chance to bluff at it on a non spade river or if he didn't have 2 spades.
In the past I would have made a pot sized or 3/4 pot sized bet here fearing the flush draw even though it's heads up.

River was the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain almost instantly bet 6,000 into a 16,000 pot.
What can he have I'm ahead of ?
Two pair is all I'm ahead of he'd reasonably be playing here IMO by the way he played it.

Hero makes a crying call and Villain shows 2 spade rags for the flush.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM

My line would be:
-Bet 4k on the flop(isn't that about the potsize?)
-Bet turn about 9k
-As played, call river

But Cornell just about nailed it. The reason I bet turn is because I want to make draws pay. I also think I could get money from an 8 or a middle pair. This is a BvB confrontation after all.

EDIT: To say thanks for good stuff about protecting the blinds. Nice
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: To say thanks for good stuff about protecting the blinds. Nice

[/ QUOTE ]