Old 04-15-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Oktoberfest questions

[ QUOTE ]
it's Bavarian "culture".

[/ QUOTE ]

Oktoberfest?? That is the exact opposite of "culture"
Old 04-16-2007, 05:09 AM

Reservation is the key ... if you do not reserve get someone who is good at jumping queues to get towards the doorman and bribe him ... they normally take €10 per person you want to get in ;-)

I´d prefer the first weekend, as the waitresses are not as exhausted by then ... never try to pull or harass a waitress, as you are going to be out of the Bierzelt faster than you can say "Schnitzel"
Old 04-19-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sieht aus wie aus dem waldgeist restaurant in hofheim
Old 04-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

ein bier bitte (that's all you need right?)
Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 PM

that's all.

but beer/bier will be enough, too. it even sounds the same.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ein bier bitte (that's all you need right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

a mass bier un a hendel aber zackig

this is all what u need
Old 04-21-2007, 01:08 AM

I'm going too and look forward to reading the suggestions on this thread since it will be our first Oktoberfest. We have visited Bavaria previously and were greatly impressed by its beauty and its highly educated people. Friendly and helpful too. They can sometimes tell a foreigner on sight and will address you in English or French. Frommer's has a book just on Bavaria and Munich so you don't have to carry an entire huge honkin' guide to Germany. There is a lot to do, without knowing your interests it's hard to know where to tell you to start. Parks, art and science type museums, castles, it's really beautiful. The only thing I think over-rated is the Glockenspiel, it's a bit silly. An interesting free museum is the Paleontology Museum, it costs nothing to visit or at least no one was there to hit us up for money when we visited, and they have one of the Archeopteryx specimens there, as well as their Munich mammoth and many other attractive fossils and mineral specimens. One of the churches, St. Peterskirche, had an entire dead lady, mummified and covered up with gems, maybe I'm morbid but I thought this pretty cool. I didn't always understand the food names on the menu but you can always get a beer because it sounds so close to the English word for beer. If all else fails for food, point to something or let the waiter pick, they're tourist friendly and they'll bring you something you like even if you don't really know what it is other than a general category such as "pork." I guess if you are a vegetarian this is not the place to visit, but I have faith in you! Oh, and for the Metro, a Tageskarte (not too sure of the spelling) would be the all-day ticket so you can go all over Munich by Metro without buying a ticket each time. They don't call it the Metro but I can't remember which is S-Bahn and which is U-Bahn, I'll let an actual German explain all that. You know what I mean -- the tube in London, the Metro in Paris or Lisbon, the subway in New York - well, they have a very nice one in Munich also.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:34 PM

I havent been to the oktoberfest yet but i was a couple of times in munic. A must do in a city with a lot of brewhouses is to check all of them out (i dont know if they are open during the oktoberfest but they should). The beer and the food in the brewhouses is good.
If you want to go to museums you have plenty to choose from (just like beer)...
Old 04-22-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A must do in a city with a lot of brewhouses is to check all of them out (i dont know if they are open during the oktoberfest but they should).

[/ QUOTE ]

they are open!