Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Playing tight = sometimes getting blinded heavily OR wrong table?

I'm just wondering if getting blinded down 7BB is normal for playing a tight solid game with good to premium hands. I find myself getting on tilt from not seeing much, and confused whether I should be switching tables, or what.

Should I just sit tight, or is there something I can do to help when this happens?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Playing tight = sometimes getting blinded heavily OR wrong table?

Well how much do you buyin for? Are you playing shorthanded?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 AM

Your question is too general. There is no way of telling if you're being too tight or just running a bad series of cards. I suggest you give an indication as to your preflop standards or post some stats as they will be helpful.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just wondering if getting blinded down 7BB is normal for playing a tight solid game with good to premium hands. I find myself getting on tilt from not seeing much, and confused whether I should be switching tables, or what.

Should I just sit tight, or is there something I can do to help when this happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

7 BB = 14 SB > 9 orbits' worth of the blinds. If you are playing in a game that is image conscious, you can probably steal more lightly. You might want to evaluate what "good to premium" hands are, just in case you're playing like a nit.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 AM

Move tables.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

7 BB = 14 SB > 9 orbits' worth of the blinds. If you are playing in a game that is image conscious, you can probably steal more lightly. You might want to evaluate what "good to premium" hands are, just in case you're playing like a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Also (it's kind of unclear in your post) if you're actually seeing flops and just not connecting at all, nothing to worry about. 7 BB is not a big deal in the least. If you were to go said 9 orbits without playing a hand, however, I'd certainly question what you believe to be "good to premium hands."
Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 AM

Lately my hands have just been flopping nothing. I suppose this is a matter of just waiting for the rain to come again.

Problem is I definitely tilted away 60BB after a string of bad beats and a run of playing terribly, and now it's this dry spell of hovering in the same area.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 AM

The first real thing to learn playing the micros is how not to tilt. If you can't learn not to tilt the rest of it doesn't matter. A lot of how not to tilt comes from playing a lot of hands and getting sucked out on enough to know that it happens and move on to the next hand.

That being said, if you go 5 orbits and don't get anything to play find another table. If you go 5 orbits and don't hit a flop welcome to poker.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the advice, all. Hard times, but i'm glad you relate.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 AM

And I get to review his hands in the session review. I'll try to help him with his steals if this is his problem. Just remember you just can't play uber weak/tight. You need to open up raises later, particularily first in or with a weak limper. Plus if the blinds/ button are weak/tight you can steal a lot in the cutoff and even hijack (MP3). Just don't do it with a guy in the CO/Button/blinds with 60% VPIP and cold calls half of the raises.