Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: That picture

you hotlink somebody else's image, you don't ask their permission, you rape some small site's bandwidth, if they're not paying attention you can cost them a lot of money. I mean I know that using imageshack is time intensive, very complex and incredibly difficult so I can understand why you wouldn't do that.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Wait, so are you the_faucet or not?

Sometimes I photobucket them, sometimes I don't. Usually the former. I've never realized it was such a big deal. Thanx for making your point in such a polite and respectful manner.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're the hotlinking piece of [censored] in the first place, don't get all defensive because you got caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

asd is totally correct. I do it sometimes to but it's not very moral. And obv you open yourself up to the kind of trouble you just experienced. Install imageshack toolbar and upload ur images there.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're the hotlinking piece of [censored] in the first place, don't get all defensive because you got caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

asd is totally correct. I do it sometimes to but it's not very moral. And obv you open yourself up to the kind of trouble you just experienced. Install imageshack toolbar and upload ur images there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 photobucket accounts. Seriously, this is news to me. I don't fully understand the big deal but i'll take your word for it. I guess my thinking was, if it IS SO incredibly easy to just open up a photobucket or imageshack account and link away, how could it possibly be detrimental to link from the site? Isn't there a way to prevent hotlinking?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 PM

I had the kitten in a hoodie pic as my avatar that said "I'm gonna rape you..." Someone saved the pic mentioned in this thread as my kitty pic online... so for a brief while I had that crap as my avatar. I thought someone hacked my account at first until I realized what had happened.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:14 PM

it's detrimental because if I have a standard $10/month hosting deal and you link 100,000 people to see my several megs of cat pics, my $10 bill becomes $1,000. then, since I'm pissed, I change all the pics to vomitcock and 100,000 people send their mods reports while their mods are busy getting bad beaten out of every donkament they enter (sundays are annoying lol.)

in fact, I already went easy on someone for doing this and unwittingly goatseing people in bbv4l 2 weeks ago...so you're lucky gildwulf woke up first, because I'd have given out a bunch of timeouts this time.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's detrimental because if I have a standard $10/month hosting deal and you link 100,000 people to see my several megs of cat pics, my $10 bill becomes $1,000. then, since I'm pissed, I change all the pics to vomitcock and 100,000 people send their mods reports while their mods are busy getting bad beaten out of every donkament they enter (sundays are annoying lol.)

in fact, I already went easy on someone for doing this and unwittingly goatseing people in bbv4l 2 weeks ago...so you're lucky gildwulf woke up first, because I'd have given out a bunch of timeouts this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i'll be damned. Learn something new every day.

I'm still curious and trying to get clear, I (we) am (are) the bad guys for hotlinking?

The vast majority of the pix I have and post are ones either I created or saved in photobucket from somebody else's imageshack/photobucket account. Check the URLs.

Still, I've never thought twice about hotlinking. I never knew it worked that way and assumed people would occasionally get upset because it slowed down their stuff. It makes no sense for it to be set up that way. Hell of a hustle.

Crazy place this internet.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:50 PM

well now i wanna see it!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, I've never thought twice about hotlinking. I never knew it worked that way and assumed people would occasionally get upset because it slowed down their stuff. It makes no sense for it to be set up that way. Hell of a hustle.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can hotlink from cnn and most people/forums won't really care, but random guys with personal hosting accounts can really get screwed over if they're linked to by a major site.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can hotlink from cnn and most people/forums won't really care, but random guys with personal hosting accounts can really get screwed over if they're linked to by a major site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now I feel bad. They were just trying to share some cat fun and I helped make them go broke.

I'm still not convinced it was the owners but that's another topic altogether.

I hotlinked 16 pics. I wonder if I can donate to them and get the cats put back up.