Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Live PL: £1-£2 : 300bb Deep : JJ vs Suspected Big Hand OOP

Hi, my first post, I wanted it to be a good one, but unfortunately it is probably rubbish.

Gone for MSNL because £1-£2 is kind of $2-$4 and it's deep. I think this is a reasonabley straight forward spot which has been covered before, I just cannot find posts about it right now.

So, I'll preface the rest of this post with a warning: I am not very good at poker, but since it's live most of the other people are worse.

On to the hand:
I'm UTG+1 and there's a straddle (£5) so I'm first to act. I have Red Jacks, I pot it to £15.

UTG+2 makes it £40 total. There's been very little light re-raising so I put him on 10 10+, AK, AQ.

Folds to me, I call. At this point should I be thinking I only continue with the hand if I hit another J?

Flop: 4d6d2s

Check, Check. I was suprised by villians check here, maybe he's not got such a strong hand.

Turn: 9d

I check, villain bets £30 in to £88. I didn't know what to make of this small turn bet. Maybe it was some retarded move because I'd shown weakness, maybe he has 1 diamond and is making a ridiculous semi bluff or maybe he's just hit a flush. Even tho pre flop I'd told myself to fold if I didn't hit, I just couldn't do it, so I called. What's your move on the turn?

River: 9s

I check, villian quickly fires out £55 in to £146. Since I'd called the turn, the river hadn't really changed much and it was not a huuuuge bet I decided to call.

I have trouble with quite straight forward situations like this. I often feel like I'm spunking money away by calling down like this, but other times the villian is just playing horrible poker and my hand is a winner.

I appreciate all advice, although I will probably not act on any that involves killing myself because I'm so bad at poker.

Cheers.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Live PL: £1-£2 : 300bb Deep : JJ vs Suspected Big Hand OOP

4:1 on river = cacllaclcalacl
Old 04-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Meh, I like a fold. You don't beat anything now that the flush hit. I'm not sure y exactly he would check the flop, but probably jus has Aces or Kings and wanted u to catch up. If the flush missed, i'd like a c/c whole way.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:27 PM

yeah id call. your post isnt too rubbish and you probably shouldnt kill yourself.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM

uhm, bet the turn...

also £18 is a pot raise pf
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 PM

yeh call the river getting these odds. ur good plenty often enuf for it to be +EV
Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 AM

yeah, call river.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.

jkkkk - my apologies, pot would have indeed been £18, I was kind of on auto pilot and thought pot was £15 since that was a common straddle raise, so I had thrown in £15, rather than saying 'pot'.

For interest, rather than being very results oriented, villian had KK no diamond. This might have been absolute genius play by him because I would have folded to a flop bet, but it was probably just bad.

I can't imagine he would have folded to a re-raise at any point so I guess I didn't have many other options the way this played out.

This thread should probably quietly die now as it's a simple spot where I just wanted to check my line.