Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Default 100nl HU river bluff. line check

standard short buyin opponent who check-minraises etc. looks like a fish but just started playing. Is this river ok? i was pretty sure he folds like all hands that just call on the flop. if i put him on hearts do i bet the turn here or leave myself some fold equity? i dont see calling as an option on the river fwiw. ty

Edit: he bought in for 40. he hit a set v my over pair early to get up to 80~. also, wen i mention the fold equity i also thought checking was ok [tho i thot he mite have hearts] to keep the pot under control and make sure i wasnt making playing a huge pot with 2nd pair going into the turn.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<font color="black">BB: $84.90</font>
<font color="black">Hero (SB): $98.50</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, BB calls $2

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($6) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4</font>, BB calls $4

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($14) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">River:</font> ($14) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $10</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $40</font>
Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: 100nl HU river bluff. line check

i think i'd be happier with a call down on this river. the bets tells me it is a missed draw, and your raise will not make him lay down an Ace, and the way you described him, probably not a Q either.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:28 PM

About the only time this will work is when he has TT. He still might not fold. He doesnt believe you have an ace and most people wouldnt raise the river if they had KQ / QJ.

I fold most of the time and only call guys I know like to bluff the river when they miss their draws. Raising is bad
Old 04-14-2007, 02:36 PM

he'll fold to your raise a lot, but this is becuase your hand is better anyway.

he has an ace+ here far more often than 109, jj, qx hearts, so a call is better than a raise (though a fold might be best)
Old 04-14-2007, 03:05 PM

imo wen ppl buy in for 40, double up and dont leave they can be scared money a lot of the time. i was pretty sure he fitted into this category which is another reason why i made the bet.

I take pretty much the same line with hands like AT/A8 etc. i think saying 'he doesnt believe you have an ace' is a strange way to think about the hand just because he called a c-bet. tbh i think from the way i play the hand its more likely that i have an ace as iv attempted to control the pot on the turn...maybe im thinking too hard tho.

whaa: i agree with ur point that my hand may be better. i figured i was ahead a lot but the raise makes him fold borderline hands too. im very aware that i may be bluffing with the best hand.

thanks for the input tho, taken on board.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:32 PM

"from the way i play the hand its more likely that i have an ace as iv attempted to control the pot on the turn...maybe im thinking too hard tho."

i think you're right about thinking too hard. most people who buy in small expect you to bet 100% with an ace, especially with the flush draw out there.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:30 PM

The pot aint big and you got SD-value here.
Don't like your river raise at all.

Make a call here and if u lose, outplay him as the shortstach he is. Put pressure on him in other way instead of raising where the same hands that will call you would see if you just call yourself, and the hands that will fold will lose after your call also (almost). Okey, if he hit a Queen, gg wp. Next hand ...

You will lose more by this play to a random player then win, I believe.