Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: I think I played this one right, it just didn\'t work

[ QUOTE ]
I have been very passive preflop. For some reason, I just can't get this game figured out so I have been mostly just calling, watching and thiking. I really appreciate all of your feedback and I ready to take your advice and make the changes to my game.

I am taking my went to showdown to around 50%.

You are probably getting too high at 50% - not many players do that & succeed. Keep in mind that if you are playing more aggressively some hands that go to the river now, won't in the future - actually dropping your number.

I am thinking about tightening up just a little and raising every hand I play. Is that a strategy that makes sense?

I can't see a need for you to tighten up - but certainly with the % of hands that you now play, you should be entering for a raise more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind - when you play more aggressively, your good hands will get sucked out on much more often, because all those Texas Rangers out there will want to hunt you down with any krap kards and sometimes a reward falls in their lap.

If you prone to tilt at bad beats, be very careful playing this way.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cooker you play 6 max but don't raise much preflop? I am probably the exact opposite. I am usually 30/20 pre and do well with them. I hardy ever open limp. Are you able to make up the lost bets post flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise more in 6 max. I also hardly ever open limp. My stats are closer to 30/15. I also take the type of table into consideration in my preflop raising strategy. My main point is that I think preflop raising is one of the least important aspects of winning play. This game isn't holdem, you rarely have much edge preflop, so how are you losing bets by not raising much? I don't mind playing postflop with most of the players I see. I am not saying it is unimportant, I am saying I think it is less important than properly utilizing semi bluffs, promoting highs, and several other things.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:56 PM

You want to tighten up a bit more preflop and wait until the river lock before you commit many chips. Much safer way to play. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As for the hand in question, you played it fine. You simply got very unlucky on the river. That flop was so good for you that you may even consider trying to get more than one bet in on the flop and/or turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 AM

Yeah, too bad about the counterfeit ace. All in all though seems you played the hand pretty well, though I'm more of a PLO player. BTW to the other poster, % and fraction are basically the same thing, .7 is expressed as 70% while .007 is expressed as .7%, percentages are typically an expression of a number falling between 1 (100%) and 0 (0%).
Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to tighten up a bit more preflop and wait until the river lock before you commit many chips. Much safer way to play. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As for the hand in question, you played it fine. You simply got very unlucky on the river. That flop was so good for you that you may even consider trying to get more than one bet in on the flop and/or turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tighten up more preflop?

OMG - you are kidding right?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Here is the new Steamboatin, small sample size but I am liking it already. Previously I had to hit the flop to continue but now they have to hit or make really bad calls.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tighten up more preflop?

OMG - you are kidding right?

[/ QUOTE ] LOL, yes. At times I'm very sarcastic. :P