Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Psychology post

ewww wow ur like the total opposite of me. In order for me to make myself play a lot I usually have to not even be paying attention to the money. I probably play my best in those conditions as well (altho with an occasional oversight since Ill probably be doing more than just paying attention to the tables when the stakes dont mean much to me ie browsing 2p2 talking on aim or watchin tv), its so much easier to play zen like poker when a pot is not even meaningful in relation to ur bankroll, and u can immediately forget after a bad beat. Whereas if ur like "damnit id have $xxx more dollars" everytime u lose a pot, ur probably gonna remember those hands/ bad beats quite a bit longer and it will generally be worse for ur disposition while playing (and often u'll carry it around with u even after uve left the tables after a poor session).

I actually enjoy (most of the time) getting up and grinding while jamming out to music, sometimes Ill play 500-1000 hands and it will feel like 10 mins, other times thats not the case tho :P (online poker for me would be much less enjoyable without music, i duno if i would have kept playing truthfully if Id never thought to simultaneously listen to music lol).

I really dont care if i make money or not when I play I just feel bad about my work ethic if i dont put in 20-30 hrs between school work and my social life so thats my motivation. I know in the end if i just play and try to play well eventually after a couple 10,000 hands I ll at least be up a decent chunk of cash after rb.

For a long time I never really thought about my play and figured it was fine. The last 3-4 few months Ive found thinking about hands away from the table to be as interesting as playing, and have generally found it makes me less likely to play on auto-pilot or thinking all my decisions are trivial and obviously correct. This has definitely made me play better at the tables (and identify more leaks) and never lose sight of the fact that each hand is unique and there is generally one right action and the more often I can make the correct decision, slowly but surely my results will follow.