Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Playing AK Preflop after a raise

I find that when I don't have much a read on a player (but know they are super maniac raisers) I will call a 3X raise with hands like AK or AQ. Obviously, when I am first one in, I'm raising, but I guess I am always timid about being re-popped or missing the flop with a un-made hand and having to pay the price of a re-raise PF with it.

Is it correct just to call when you know the player just isn't just a super-maniac raiser?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Playing AK Preflop after a raise

stop being a pussy, AK always, and AQ a lot of the time are 3betting hands.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Well i do it a lot.

Ive seen so many people go broke misplaying AK, and ive yet to be convinced getting all your chips in the pot preflop is the best line with the hand.

It also helps disguise your hands a tonne when you make it - because no one expects you to play AK like that.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 AM

The problem with not 3betting is you miss the flop so often and they have the betting lead. Then you are forced to float and turn your hand into a bluff, or play a guessing game. You also let yourself get stacked when he has A7o and flop comes A72.

If you 3bet you pickup the pot preflop a fair bit which is fine.

If he calls you'll win a decent sized pot on the flop by him checkfolding when he misses (regardless of you hitting) and when you hit you can stack him when he has a worse hand.

Also if you aren't 3betting AK most of the time, people will notice you coldcall AK and you will have some stupidly tight 3bet range which might work at lower stakes since people don't pay attention but when you move up people will notice.

I have no problem with calling preflop with AK sometimes i guess to mix it up, and like phil said its deceptive but you should be 3betting AK as standard most of the time.