Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Playing suited connectors.

[ QUOTE ]
Curious about how you play your small pairs, cause a lot of people play them wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise small pairs in any position, if checked to me. If there is a raise then I use the 5%-20% rule to deceide if I should call. After the flop if checked to me I raise no matter what falls on the board when in good postion. If i am out of postion or there is a raise before I act then the situation at the table dictates my next move. Usually call a passive player and fold to a tight player. Any other advice you have is welcomed.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:49 AM

As has been stated previously, there are many ways to play suited connectors in full-ring NLHE and there are many determinants. One +EV approach (in my opinion) is to call pre-flop raises from relatively tight players. Most players at low limits overvalue big pairs and will stack off with an unimproved overpair (or AK that hits top pair).

That last sentence is worth repeating - too many players stack off with just one pair (especially overpairs). Try not to do it yourself and take advantage of situations where you can do it to someone else.

Let's say you call a pre-flop raise with a suited connector from a relatively tight player and the flop comes ten high. Depending on the situation I might call a continuation bet with as little as a gutshot, or a pair and a gutshot, or a pair and a backdoor flush.

If the turn is another low card and he bets again then there's good chance he has an overpair. If you can beat an overpair or have the odds to draw then stay in the hand. If he checks the turn then he may have overcards and you might be able to take the pot down then and there.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious about how you play your small pairs, cause a lot of people play them wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the nl forums...this gets discussed ad infinitum.