Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you support and participate in a Food/Drink Forum?
Yes 29 69.05%
No 13 30.95%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Don Imus

[ QUOTE ]
But as you probably know you're more likely to run into "free speech" or "just change the radio station" or "just monitor what your kids listen to" arguments here. Be interesting to see if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it so hard to understand that CBS, a company whose reputation and fortune is basically built on appearing as a mainstream news and entertainment outlet to mom-and-pop America, has different standards than say Capitol Records, whose reputation and fortune is built on entertainment provided by a diverse set of artists with lifestyles and opinions quite often outside the fringe of society's mainstream standards.

This isn't that difficult a concept.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JohnKilduff,

I agree, for the most part. However, in most of his commentary about black violence, HeavilyArmed insinuates (with a rather heavy hand) that its main causes are endogenous - that is, something about black people, or something about their culture unique and specific to blacks causes increased rates of crime. I think before forming such conclusions it would be helpful, if not outright mandatory to identify all pertinent/possible exogeneous causes, such as the lingering effects of civil right struggle and blacks' low socio-economic status. HA mainly aims to recast Social Darwinism in a different light, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply made a comment based on available data. I make it for the benefit of the 90% posters here that will not be exposed to such inconvenient statistics throughout the course of American 'higher' education.

There are so very many stereotypes one could investigate but at the root of many one will find some observable behavioral correlate for the group so characterized. Again, inconvenient.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your completely unsupported statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unsupported but totally supportable.

Do the research and your eyes might open. No, you won't because you'd be uncomfortable in the end.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So by continuing with this line of reasoning, all groups in America which are equally disadvantaged economically should be equally represented in crime. Is that the case?

It seems clear that economic factors play a significant role, but that does not suggest that culture plays no role.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jump right out and state it honestly: Controling for income, blacks are very much more likely to be violent criminals and somewhat more likely to be property criminals.

It's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try controlling for single parent homes and watch how the stats change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The gap will close but it won't go away.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:40 PM

Well worth the trip. I'll miss Imus.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Before all this, how many of you knew Rutgers played in the NCAA Women's Championship game?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So by continuing with this line of reasoning, all groups in America which are equally disadvantaged economically should be equally represented in crime. Is that the case?

It seems clear that economic factors play a significant role, but that does not suggest that culture plays no role.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jump right out and state it honestly: Controling for income, blacks are very much more likely to be violent criminals and somewhat more likely to be property criminals.

It's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try controlling for single parent homes and watch how the stats change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The gap will close but it won't go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

How significant is 'the gap' when you control for both income and single parent homes?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I simply made a comment based on available data.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's so available, why don't you share it with us. While you're at it, as West mentioned, please explain how the long term effects of slavery and discrimination are controlled for.

[ QUOTE ]
I make it for the benefit of the 90% posters here that will not be exposed to such inconvenient statistics throughout the course of American 'higher' education.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because they're smart enough not to waste their time listening to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Martin Luther King\'s Dream

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

- Dr. Martin Luther King Junior

Don Imus was a man who was not judged by the content of his character, but by the color of his skin. MLK's dream has yet to be realized. He died in vain.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But as you probably know you're more likely to run into "free speech" or "just change the radio station" or "just monitor what your kids listen to" arguments here. Be interesting to see if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it so hard to understand that CBS, a company whose reputation and fortune is basically built on appearing as a mainstream news and entertainment outlet to mom-and-pop America, has different standards than say Capitol Records, whose reputation and fortune is built on entertainment provided by a diverse set of artists with lifestyles and opinions quite often outside the fringe of society's mainstream standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is circular. Capitol records produces similar or far worse content because it's in the business of producing similar or far worse content. I imagine CBS could have gotten around the criticism by saying "we'd like to 'diversify' the entertainment we offer so not only does Imus stay, but we'd like to give C Murder a new sitcom.." and then we'd all just shrug our shoulders because hey, their business model changed.