Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Default good tourney chop deal?

I know many people do not even entertain chop offers unless they are the overwhelming chip leader or tiny stack, and I am usually the same way, but it had been a while since I was the lone person at the table that turned down the offer. Here's the details, let me know if anyone would have taken it, I was just second guessing myself because all of the players and railbirds were scoulding me.
4 left 10+1R on stars. payouts are 1st-10,400 2nd-5,200 3rd-3,700 4th-2900. I can't remember the blind level but my M was 7 and I had like 780,000 chips, so it was probably 30000/60000. the other stacks were 1.6M, 1.8M and 2.5M. in the chop I would have received 3900. All of the players were solid and aggresive, I wouldn't say I overmatched any of them, there was a lot of open shoving going on.
Thanks for all responses.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: good tourney chop deal?

[ QUOTE ]
I know many people do not even entertain chop offers unless they are the overwhelming chip leader or tiny stack

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 PM

If you don't feel like you outmatch any of them, maybe you should have made a deal that would get you more than 3rd
Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 PM

I guess I shouldn't have put that in the post, but all I was trying to get at was that occaisionally a chop will give almost 1st place money to the chip leader because the other stacks all want to lock up 3rd place money or whatever. Also, if you are about to be blinded out, and there is chop discussion, which is rare I guess.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 PM

I felt I was the best at the table, but everyone played well. No one was just trying to hang on and move up the ladder, and there was nothing glaring to exploit other than the occaisional open push for 40BB.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 AM

ICM gives you a ~$4,300 equity, so it was probably wise to turn it down.

I assume the $3,900 was based on Stars "running the numbers". That's almost always a bad deal for the shortstack if the tournament is still multiway.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ICM gives you a ~$4,300 equity, so it was probably wise to turn it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you obv. dont have it: ICM calculator

That said, as always the value of a deal cannot exclusively be based on absolute dollar-equity and skills.

"Sklansky bucks" don't buy you in to future tournaments - or in other words, if your bankroll = zero it might be worth giving up $400 EV to lock in a future roll of $3,900 as opposed to running the risk of only having $2,900.

Because of the relatively low prices most likely these considerations aren't relevant here, but they certainly are when the difference between the offered chop and a 4th place finish approach the size of an average yearly salary.