Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Float w/ gunshot raise on turn

I had not played much with the villian, but he seemed like a thinking player. He was pretty tight, and I normally don't call preflop here. On the turn, I thought he would think I wouldn't make a move on an ace turn, and it would be pretty hard for a big ace to call me, much less a pocket pair less than the ace.
Not sure how I felt about my bet sizing, it was basically a min raise.
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$2/$4 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

lucko21: $598.70
<font color="black">Kyaiana: $215</font>
roccomania: $413.20
<font color="black">browerkid: $453.90</font>
Zeus816: $211.60
<font color="black">dd323: $567.90</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> dd323 is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
roccomania folds, browerkid raises to $14, Zeus816 folds, dd323 calls $14, lucko21 folds, Kyaiana calls $10

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($44) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Kyaiana checks, browerkid bets $33, dd323 calls $33, Kyaiana folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($110) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
browerkid bets $84, dd323 raises to $168
Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Float w/ gunshot raise on turn

this is very bad vs brower
Old 04-13-2007, 08:07 PM

this is horrible

if you think he does not have an ace then call the turn and shove any river
Old 04-13-2007, 08:12 PM

Ok, 2 responses, and both say its bad. I wasn't sure when I did it, he timed down a bit and folded, I might have picked up a bit of a hesitation on the turn.

Can someone explain why its so bad?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:18 PM

well assuming from the juice's comment, brower is an aggro player and will not even think about folding AK/AQ

you are much much better off to win an extra river bet and shove th eriver (+ get a chance to hit your gutshot) by just calling the turn

and against this player you are almost inevitably slowplaying a set anyway and you would not pop him on the turn if you actually had a set

there is (almost) no question however that you will successfully make him fold nothing here, but the same could be accomplished by flatting the turn and shoving the river
Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Well, thats not neccesarrily true about a set on the turn. I would call on the turn or pop it with a set about 50/50, and if he is never folding AK/AQ then I'm not sure why I would never pop it on the turn some of the time.

Edit: Oh nm, i missed your main point, which was you get more value by calling and popping the river, which makes sense.

Also, he was somewhat unknown to him, so I understand what JUICER is saying. I just think I would take lots of lines here with a set.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 PM

i don't know much about browser (i think i have played with him before a long time ago but i don't remember [censored]) but in general vs a very aggro opponent, you never ever raise a set on this board, because they love to vb thin and represent bad turn/river cards. you do not need to worry about adjusting your play or randomizing [censored] or whatever because nobody at 2/4 is smart enough to pay attention to that [censored] anyway, and if anything, the fact that you keep slowplaying him will only make him slow down vs you, which will make it easier for you to play against him and then you can re-adjust if he changes his style
Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 PM

Make it $250 so you can actually fold out some As.

Min raise is okay if and only if you are seriously considering a river bluff, calls/checks to you.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it $250 so you can actually fold out some As.

Min raise is okay if and only if you are seriously considering a river bluff, calls/checks to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was considering pushing the river after trying to get a feel for how strong he was on the turn.