Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Re: 600NL: QJs

[ QUOTE ]
Is taking a free card here really bad 3 handed? (If so, plz explain why)

It seems like charging yourself to draw, when you risk being checkriased with air/trash ( especially if Ax isn't in your cold call range pre) is not optimal. Or do we just have SOOOO much equity that it doesn't matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I understand correctly that you mean checking behind on the flop? That would be a disaster IMO, since we are so likely to draw out, even if they don't fold. I view it as a free shot at the pot really, with all that equity behind. As it went, this hand did not exactly go as planned [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-13-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It seems like charging yourself to draw, when you risk being checkriased with air/trash ( especially if Ax isn't in your cold call range pre) is not optimal. Or do we just have SOOOO much equity that it doesn't matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I understand correctly that you mean checking behind on the flop? That would be a disaster IMO, since we are so likely to draw out, even if they don't fold. I view it as a free shot at the pot really, with all that equity behind. As it went, this hand did not exactly go as planned [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you must felt this hand if you bet at all, right? Seems like you MUST felt, b/c you face a real risk of being pushed out with air/worse draw/garbage ace.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you must felt this hand if you bet at all, right? Seems like you MUST felt, b/c you face a real risk of being pushed out with air/worse draw/garbage ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't agree. Why do I face this risk particularly for this type of flop? I don't see why these hands are suddenly very likely to push me out of this pot.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why these hands are suddenly very likely to push me out of this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You folded your monster didn't you?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM

Second pair with 9 outs to a flush on the turn does not constitute a monster IMO. Obviously, this hand is not a good example of why to bet this flop.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is taking a free card here really bad 3 handed?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM

it was a monster on the flop..

remember, i was one who said jam the flop in the first place.

I'm just thinking (in retrospect) that if you're folding on this turn, then maybe not betting flop IP might be an option.

itz late, i think i just realized why u want to fold turn, b/c it is a total brick and your equity went way down. I assume you're calling though if you hit Q or J? I guess it makes sense.

I just hate these spots though, cause you know that turn shove is coming like 95% of the time, and you really need to get to the river.

meh, i can't think str8. i'll re read the whole thread after sleep
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That would be a disaster IMO, since we are so likely to draw out, even if they don't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
If they both fold, you had the best hand, except for a freak KK fold by the PFR, or a KJ fold.

If you have the best hand, you're usually miles ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
I view it as a free shot at the pot really, with all that equity behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Granted, you will take down the pot a ton, but that's not really a big gain, with this hand, for the above mentioned reasons.

Betting is standard, of course, since it's unlikely that you get c/red, and even when you do, you have options, but checking here a small percentage of the time can work wonders, sometimes.

Also remember than you might be able to pick off bluffs, or even value bet your J.

Also, it disguises your hand, since everybody expects you to bet a flush draw.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Did you not shove because flop would be an overbet shove?