Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 PM

Default $0.50 / $1 NL Home Game - 3rd nuts facing river raise

Home game, 5-handed, VILLAIN is a very good, tricky player who knows my game pretty well and has bluffed me several times throughout the night. Also, he has no physical tells that I have come across.

MY STACK: $240
VILLAIN: $675

Blinds $0.50/$1, I am in the CO with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG limps, I limp, VILLAIN limps on Button, SB completes, BB checks
POT: $5

flop is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Everyone checks
POT: $5

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to me & I bet $4 - VILLAIN calls quickly and I put him on two-pair or better because he is in position on the turn and he likes to slow play. Everyone else folds.
POT: $13

River is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BOARD: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I over-bet $20 because the rainbow board has not paired and i can beat any 2-pair and set (my initial read) and will get paid off nicely BUT...

VILLAIN raises to $100!

What do I do?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: $0.50 / $1 NL Home Game - 3rd nuts facing river raise

Q9 seems highly unlikely, but 79 is very possible. Also, he's playing so deep that it seems like he's got the money to make a play here if he thinks you can fold. I'd call here unless villain was very nitty, which your read says he's not.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:47 PM

A "very good" player shouldn't be slowplaying two pair on the turn on a board as drawy as that, especially against such a weak bet. Also, you didn't overbet the river, you bet $1 less than the pot. I don't really care for the way you played this hand in general.

Preflop: As deep as your stacks are (unless the other three players are short stacks), I'd raise 67s in the cutoff against a limp. It's a deceptive hand, you build the pot, and isolate the weak limper.

Flop: In a five-player pot, checking here is fine, but betting occasionally (with the intention of taking a free card on a whiffed turn) is ok too.

Turn: You made your hand, and it is definitely deceptive. No reason to bet so small, you want to build the pot. A $10 looks good.

River: Your bet is fine. You want to get value for your hand. After villian raises so much, it definitely looks like you're beat. If he has a two pair or a set, then he wouldn't raise so much, would he? This must mean that he either has the same hand as you do, or he completed his straight with the 97. There's no reason to think that he's bluffing here, because all draws (with the exception of 23, which would've folded preflop) missed.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:52 PM

I think I have to call here. He may very well of made his atright with 79, but he could be making this play with a hand like J8. I don't think calling is a bad play, but raising should be out of the question.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:54 PM

this hand is mud call then cashout
Old 04-13-2007, 03:55 PM

I don't like the way this hand played out either.

As played I call simply because there is only 1 realistic hand that beats you - 79. Based on your read that he likes to slow play I think that leads credence to calling this river.

For a better line - raise Preflop and c-bet flop.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A "very good" player shouldn't be slowplaying two pair on the turn on a board as drawy as that, especially against such a weak bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I concluded from the river bet. He IS a good player and he wouldn't be smooth-calling a made hand against me on the turn. He was drawing with 7-9. I folded showing him my straight and he showed me the J-high straight. I played this hand poorly. Thanks all.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Good fold though.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:04 PM

VILLAIN is a very good, tricky player
VILLAIN limps on Button
VILLAIN calls quickly and I put him on two-pair or better because he is in position on the turn and he likes to slow play.

lol