Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Microlimit guidelines and FAQ v1.0 - comments/suggestions thread

Well I'm new, and read the forum for a month or so before I ever posted anything. While reading I often encountered the advice...Read, contribute your thoughts to posts, and post some hands in order to improve your game. So being a n00b I do all three. Just funny you guys mention this the day I post two hands. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dave,

People learn more from reading interesting hands. If there were some qualifier on what you should/shouldn't post, people would be encouraged to read more, and realize that we all deal with the same situations time and time again, and would hopefully stop posting some of those situations so often.

The KK monotone flop thread on the main page is an example of that. If that poster would just read for a while, rather than posting, I think it'd be rather easy to figure out what the right course of action is.

People need to stop looking for a quick fix and realize that learning to play poker requires work. If they want good advice and opinions, they're going to have to start working on posting hands that require more thought.

If people were to read more and post less, the forum would be a better place.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit, this makes sense. However, keep in mind that there are indeed "generations" of posters.

There's the guys that ask the really dumb questions (myself when I first logged on). Then the guys that ask the dumb questions (myself now). Then the guys that answer the really dumb and dumb questions (myself now, sometimes), then you and the other vets.

As your generation becomes really good, you guys can let the guys one step below you answer the straight-forward stuff, and focus on the stuff that we really haven't a clue how to answer.

You're absolutely right though. I'm not sure how many of my posts are original material. Maybe 10, other than the humour stuff and responses to others.

Pretty sad, really.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that everything thinks their hands are interesting, when most of them aren't. KK when an A flops isn't going to be interesting very often, but it's still often tough to play correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been "verbose" a few times in the past, and I've mostly chilled out when people told to STFU.

However, the forum really isn't about posting "interesting hands" (interesting hands for the most part occur rarely). It's about learning to play, right?

I mean, we could have an interesting hands forum... but I'm not sure what kind of traffic it would get.

[/ QUOTE ]

its about learning to play without drowning everyone else out.. which leads most veterans to have a high response, low topic ratio.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM

Here's one phenomenon that I've noticed only on this board (2+2, not just the micro board), and that is when a poster replies to someone's post with a quote, but doesn't add anything into their own post.

Is this done to add emphasis to the original poster's post, or did they actually make a post and my firefox/IE browser just ins't catching it? This has happened often enough for me to think that it's a 2+2 cliche, but I'm not sure...
Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 PM

it means "what he said"
Old 03-21-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it means "what he said"

[/ QUOTE ]
Or "PC++" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 08:29 PM

I was just thinking about this because of some disparities between my "Misc. Stats" in PT when looking at different sites/limits. Perhaps there would be some support for a group of posters with huge databases to contribute the info they have in their Misc. Stats tabs so that people wondering about their own stats could do the check without posting a thread, mainly as a check to see how they're running with respect to certain hand frequencies.

So, we'd have something like this in the FAQ:

High Card % of Total Hands: XX%
One Pair % of Total Hands: XX%
Two Pair % of Total Hands: XX%
etc.

If someone has been running poorly, he should see an abnormal distribution for this. I think it would be helpful for analyzing stat posts, because people who have good looking stats but a bad distribution of hands (ie. they're just running poorly), are fine, they're just suffering from cold cards.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:39 PM

You refer to the small stakes posting guidelines and link to the forum but the guidelines aren't stickied anymore (where'd they go BTW?).

Maybe you could find the old thread and link it directly.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM

One thought I had at some point was to create some posts to answer very common questions. It was an idea that sort of died; however, one that I made that I thougth had some value (you may wish to amend this if you see fit) is one on VP$IP. Here's the post I made

Also, CallMeIshmael was working on compiling a stats project. The last I knew it was in this state
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM

from a PM:

"in the sticky you made could you add for rant posts to be put up in the psych department or general forum?"