Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Getting to showdown more

Don't have access to my stats but I think my WTSD is only around 33% over 80k hands this year. I still think I call down A high too often and maybe I'm not aggressive enough on the turn. It seems every time I check behind on the turn and call down with A high I lose. I do play 4 tables at a time and my post flop reads need improving. Any general ways to improve my WTSD number? FWIW I was over a 1bb/100 winner over 60k hands this year at 2/4 and 3/4 but now I'm close to breakeven so my WTSD number may be getting smaller over the last 20k hands or so as I have been running pretty bad.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Getting to showdown more

Where are these 3/4 games at? Sounds interesting.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM

3/4 games are on FT, they are interesting..hard to find but people play the small blind bad,
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't have access to my stats but I think my WTSD is only around 33% over 80k hands this year. I still think I call down A high too often and maybe I'm not aggressive enough on the turn. It seems every time I check behind on the turn and call down with A high I lose. I do play 4 tables at a time and my post flop reads need improving. Any general ways to improve my WTSD number? FWIW I was over a 1bb/100 winner over 60k hands this year at 2/4 and 3/4 but now I'm close to breakeven so my WTSD number may be getting smaller over the last 20k hands or so as I have been running pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wookie's FAQ stats post he says:

"Went to showdown: Marginal hands will tend to have more value when there are fewer players involved. Expect to show down more hands. A value of about 32 is probably about as low as is reasonable, and 40%-ish is about the ceiling. Typical values are 35-38%. As you add hands, this may decrease slightly, but if you're only adding hands that you end up folding before showdown, it's time to rethink about adding those hands. Also, if you play aggressively enough (and/or against tight enough opponents) that many hands don't make it to showdown, this will tend to decrease."

So 33% really isn't that low. You say that you think you showdown A high too often but yet you want to raise your showdown number? After reading stoxtrader's bet-bet-fold line I've been auto betting lots of turns w ace high as the aggressor because you're more likely to get called on the river than the turn when you check it through. When they bet into you on the turn w A high I usually just look at how aggressive the player is and call down the more aggressive ones and muck vs the LP's. I think usually changing your style for numbers sake is -EV. I think it's better to go through some hand sessions and see where you've folded to 1 bet on the river and see if there are areas where you do it too predictably.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are these 3/4 games at? Sounds interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i'm pretty sure he meant 3/6. I would recommend less table til u get the reads better, it seems like u rushed into what you cant handle. I 8 table right now but i built up gradually as i was ready.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Play mostly on tighter sites vs some better competition...more the bonus/rb player than the 2 table 2bb/100 player...forgot about the FAQ section but thought maybe it was somewhat outdated for today's games. I think 33-36 is probably about right for how I play 27/17 and the sites I play on. Table avgs usually in 35-40/10-15 range. I guess I need to work on my table selection too...

Going to start becoming more aggressive on the Turn as I agree more people look to fold in smaller pots to a turn bet and most always fire on the river if you check behind.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:46 AM

JR- 8 tables... You still have positive WR or mostly bonus/rb type player? FWIW I have over 200k hands ..winner at 1/2 and small winner at 2/4 and 3/6 but yes I would benefit from playing fewer tables and table selecting better. Most of my $ comes from rb/bonus which is decent at the 2/4 3/6 level.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Hey Beast, if I may ask, what's your FT handle. I play there mostly during the daytime "TokenHowlie". Also, I just can't imagine 8 tabling. For one, my monitor can't fit those w/out overlap. But even more than 2 I don't get any real reads (or very few) on people. Do you guys just rely on PT stat reads? Most of my $ (lately all of my $) comes from RB/bonus too.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:41 PM

Wow 8 tables!

If you can 8 table UB and FT and break even in poker you are not a horrible poker player and you must have made a bunch BB's from RB+Bonus.

May I suggest moving up and play less tables? The opposition at most 5/T and 10/20 tables is not that much tougher, but the rake is substantially lower. 2/4 in particular is a rake hell.