Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Default $20 rebuy

UTG+1 has been active, and I'm confidently putting him on a wide range, incl. weak suited Aces and suited connectors.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t18140)
Button (t11435)
SB (t7200)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t12304)</font>
UTG (t4298)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t16853)</font>
MP1 (t3855)
Hero (t11455)
MP3 (t4665)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1800</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t1600, UTG+1 calls t1200.
(pot is t5,500)
Flop: (t5500) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero </font>?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: $20 rebuy

I call pre but I understand the raise with your read on EP. I think the play is something like 3000-4000/call push. Any cbet commits us as we will have invested at least 40% of our stack. The problem is the pot is so bloated any combo or nut FD can correctly push on us getting more than enough odds. 55/66/TT is also in both ranges and may be trapping.
The smaller bet may let you get away from some crazy action like when BB pushes and EP calls, but I think this is unlikely.

Ugh. Someone smart needs to chime in and tell us how to correctly avoid losing 57bb (well 48 now) with one pair.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 PM

Given the preflop action we are pretty much never folding here. I think the worst turn card possible would be the Ac, so maybe then.

I suggest bet out 3k and push the rest in on the turn (calling a repop on the flop).

FWIW, going broke with 57BB and one pair isn't always a bad thing, it depends on the situation. In this case, the pot is big, we are ahead pretty often here.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM

BB flat calling a 3-bet pot PF for 15% of his stack really scared me. What is he doing that with?

I'm representing a hand like AA, KK or AK with my re-raise. Maybe - and just maybe - QQ or AQ. I can't see how he can flat call PF against that range with less than KK ... and I'm not even sure why he would do that.

UTG+1 on the other hand can be calling still with a wide gamut.

But honestly, if I couldn't get a J for a set I'd loved to see an Ace or a K on the flop, knowing for sure that I was beat.

I had to convince myself that I wasn't up against AK and AQ/J, so I bet t2,800, figuring that would be the amount I'd bet with AA on a board with only one draw (the clubs).

BB and UTG+1 pushed all-in.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 PM

I think your range for the PF cold-caller is too tight. I'd say something like TT+,AQs+,AKo.

I think after both moved in on the flop it is a pretty easy fold. However, I always seem to get upset with myself when one shows AK and the other shows 88. Still, I think a fold is correct.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your range for the PF cold-caller is too tight. I'd say something like TT+,AQs+,AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are your saying cold-calling a 3-bet pot from BB for 15% of your stack with TT, JJ or AQ is good play - or are you saying that's "what is to be expected at this level"?

[ QUOTE ]
I think after both moved in on the flop it is a pretty easy fold. However, I always seem to get upset with myself when one shows AK and the other shows 88. Still, I think a fold is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I had an easy time folding - after all the purpose of my c-bet was to clarify the situation, or I might just have moved in.

They flipped QQ (UTG+1) and KK (BB).
Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are your saying cold-calling a 3-bet pot from BB for 15% of your stack with TT, JJ or AQ is good play - or are you saying that's "what is to be expected at this level"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying readless, that is a fair range for somone to call with. Lot's a people can't fold these hands PF no matter what. For the most part, the BB would be right not to. But if he knew what he was doing, there would be ZERO hands in his calling range and his raising range would be QQ+,AKo+. Everything else would be a fold.