Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: no don imus discussion?

He'll be on satellite as soon as his contract expires.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know "nappy" was a racial slur.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a middle school that was ~50% black... "nappy" was a generic word that everyone seemed to use to refer to messy hair. My white friends and I made fun of each other for having "nappy" hair all the time... I had no idea it usually only referred to black people's hair.

I'm sure people were LOL at us always talking about nappy this and nappy that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that it was the J-word, and the 'ho's' that were the slurs.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Jason Whitlock, an outspoken critic of Imus, wrote a great article yesterday about the incident. The article provides good arguments wtih a different perspective. I think a lot of you (who are interested) will enjoy reading it.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html
Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 PM

I really don't understand why people listen to any of these shock jock shows anyway. I've tried listening to Imus and Stern a few times, and I found them juvenile when I was a juvenile.

I'm fine with him being fired- the market spoke.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 PM

This Al Sharpton quote:

"But we cannot afford a precedent established that the airways can commercialize and mainstream sexism and racism."

means he is against rap music as well as Don Imus?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 PM

I never got rap music either- but again I am more into melody or beats than lyrics. I think I would be offended by it if I were black and tha gagnsta crapt was supposedly my culture.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:12 AM

This is really sad. I can't believe Don Imus looks like a sypathetic figure to me. I can't defend what he said. It was an off the cuff comment along the lines he made almost every day. That was his comedic style. It was something he had been doing for almost 37 years on that station.

What killed Imus in the end is that he has been an [censored] on and off the air for those 37 years. There are a lot of people who hate him. This was much, much bigger than some comment he made about the Rutger's team. This was agendas pushed and muscles flexed like something I have never seen before.

It is a sad day for radio. The corprate overtaking of the radio business has been a scary thing over the years. This is the pinnacle. As Mike and the Maddog said it was a classless move by both MSNBC and CBS radio. They let Imus on the air for the fire of this storm Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but when it wasn't going to be about this. When it was going to be about the good things, they just got rid of him. They could have waited the two weeks. Because in two weeks all of these people would be on to a new cause. He could have walked back onto the air in two weeks and just continued on. But that's not the way things work in corporate radio. It's all about this second, nobody has any ability to look two weeks into the future.

I find this hugely effecting the way I do my job. Having to change where I have set boundries for myself. Not that I am known for racially insesitive comments, but sexually insensitive comments sure, politically incorrect comments sure and I'm a guppy where one of the big fish just got taken out.

I just had to stop myself from criticism of the New Jersey Gov for almost killing himself so he could stick his nose into something he didn't need to involve himself in, just so he could pander and get a photo op. But what would have happened if I said that? Since I couldn't gage it, I had to not say it. Something that feels really wrong to me.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:56 AM

You bet your butt that you need to watch what you say at work and who you say it to. You'll be in a world of hurt if you make a risque joke to the wrong person and they don't think it's funny. Save that kinda thing for your friends at work
Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You bet your butt that you need to watch what you say at work and who you say it to. You'll be in a world of hurt if you make a risque joke to the wrong person and they don't think it's funny. Save that kinda thing for your friends at work

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention I talk on the radio for a living.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm fine with him being fired- the market spoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's fair to say the market spoke. Sure there were plenty of sponsors who pulled out, but I'd wager there were and still are plenty of legitimate sponsors who are willing to put spots on his shows. Obviously for less than the previous going rate, as this has hurt him.

If you could say that either;

a) What replaces Imus will generate more revenue than he did (or could after this incident) or
b) He won't be on the radio again in a similar capacity

then it would be true that the market "spoke." I don't think either is true.