Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Ethics Question

It's just bad poker. Saying that reveals too much about your own holdings. In spite of the action you're still very likely to have the best hand. You say MAW "plays good maybe a little tight, from the older school where they raise with real goods, but she knows when she is good and when she is in trouble." - I think then she would probably know that JJ is probably not best on a board with a paired flop that gets capped.

If you cap here even the dimmest player is likely to realize that A3 is not worth a raise with on the end. I would keep my mouth shut and keep building the pot.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM

as per Roberts rules (you should read this, its the closest thing to a standardized version of a rule book around)

POKER ETIQUETTE

The following actions are improper, and grounds for warning, suspending, or barring a violator:

Making statements or taking action that could unfairly influence the course of play, whether or not the offender is involved in the pot.

Your actions were an angle shoot, and they are wrong. But at worst your going to get a warning.

so did she have AA or JJ? Did you kill your action with the best hand by making that statement?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:29 AM

It is unethical to make a statement about strategy in a multiway pot. This is because your talking effects the EV of a third player which is a form of collusion. Heads up is an entirely different matter, because your talking only effects you negatively.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as per Roberts rules (you should read this, its the closest thing to a standardized version of a rule book around)

POKER ETIQUETTE

The following actions are improper, and grounds for warning, suspending, or barring a violator:

Making statements or taking action that could unfairly influence the course of play, whether or not the offender is involved in the pot.

Your actions were an angle shoot, and they are wrong. But at worst your going to get a warning.

so did she have AA or JJ? Did you kill your action with the best hand by making that statement?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was interested to see if you would respond.

She is good, but she also can't lay down JJ or AA or any overpair. She plays good, but I mean good for live.

On the river I checked to her, surprisingly the A3 (he mucked so I donno) just called MAW River bet after a capped turn, I called the 3bet from fish and she capped.

I looked at her and said JJ eh? she had this look as if she knew she sucked out and nodded.

A3 looked as though he couldn't beleive he had the worst of it and mucked.

Did I kill her action, I don't really think so but I did it with the intention of doing it. So I guess I got my answer from TT
Old 04-12-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and you aren't revealing the contents of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 AM

Yes it is very unethical. You DO NOT get to speculate about the contents of other people's hands or reveal anything about your own when there is a 3rd party in the hand. Your statement "1- He is in the hand, he can say what he pleases IMO" is absolutely false. Just like he isn't allowed to turn over his cards when it's 3-way, he can't say things that reveal the strength of his hand or speculate on yours. You just don't get to screw up somebody else's action like that.

Heads-up, say what you wish in a cash game (in a tourney the rules about not revealing your hand continue even heads-up).
Old 04-12-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says I am telling the truth. He can speculate as to what it meant.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM

don't a lot of houses have rules that cover this? I play at Canterbury, and I'm pretty sure the rule there is no one is allowed to discuss the hand in progress, period.

Obviously there are situations where no one's going to care, but the situation that OP described is one where people would care, and OP would have at least received a warning from the dealer...

Isn't this the case in a lot of rooms??
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he could just as easily be making an inference about the third player's hand.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is very unethical. You DO NOT get to speculate about the contents of other people's hands or reveal anything about your own when there is a 3rd party in the hand. Your statement "1- He is in the hand, he can say what he pleases IMO" is absolutely false.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't just say whatever you please. You can't reveal the contents of your hand or state what your future actions will be. But poker is partly game of verbal sparring, and forcing people to be completely silent during multiway pots takes a lot of the spirit out of it. You are not allowed to unfairly influence the course of a hand. I would interpret unfair as colluding or revealing private information. Speculating about what someone else might have is not "unfair", IMHO.