Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: max buy-in in LA v. LV ... why???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That said, most LA games have tremendous action and game selection at these blind and buyin levels; I think some of the cardrooms in tourist spots like Las Vegas should stop listening to the regular grinders and perhaps consider LA structures.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not see the benefit of LA structures or perhaps you are being sarcastic based on the post that you linked. #1 you get killed on the rake. #2 you are inclined to play a more short handed strategy. now i have never played in LA but from what i hear there is a lot of action and it seems more like gambling than strategic.

example in LV low limit NL lets say 1-2. Opening on an unraised pot I usually have to raise 3-5BB (depending on the table)in order to get called by one or two people. otherwise most of the table may limp in. Now in LA thats 25% of a $40 max buyin. If you want to make any sort of continuation bet lets say half pot on the flop its already eaten 50% of your buyin.

on the other hand if two people call preflop for a pot of $30. It would be statistically correct to call any all in on the flop if you have a flush draw or OESD. (of course this is situational but just an example.)

This in my mind takes the fun out of the game. Maybe this doesnt happen in practice and maybe im not thinking of this in the right way. However it seems that a lot of the grace and technique/strategy is lost by setting the buyins so low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching Red Sox on my parent's baller 52" Sony HD LCD back East right now so I'll try to get back in detail maybe tomorrow. The real small games are goofy structures but 2+2ers like AlienBoy beat them pretty good.

Note that rebuys fly into the game almost every hand so the stacks get deep over time. Meanwhile if you get deep your game is protected from good deep stack players starting deep.

If I don't have time to get back search on my user name in this sub-forum; I do get into the advantages of this structure (more for the $5 and $10 big blind games) in depth in some other posts over the last year or two (this is the limit I normally play).

The post I linked to was a propped up game. The real games at this limit are almost like a drunken home game.

~ Rick
Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 PM

I like Hollywood Parks max buy in,lol. I bought in for $40 at my friends home game and I walked out with nearly $300. LOL.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Actually, Hollywood Park has a 1-3 NL Buy-in Max 100. I think I did see a 1-2 NL 40 max game on the board last time I was there though.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Was just at HP a couple weeks ago and it was 1-2/40, 2-3/100, 3-5/200, 5-10/400.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:54 PM

I got to hurry up and make a trip to So. Cal. this year.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:00 AM

LA keeps the people in action longer by restricting the buyins