Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did you used to watch He-Man?
Yes 12 85.71%
No 2 14.29%
I suck; show me the results 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: 2006 - 2007 NBA Season Discussion Thread

Spurs arent getting passed the Suns.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I too look forward to the Golden State-San Antonio WCF.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately the spurs matchup with the warriors almost as well as the warriors do with the mavs.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golden State now officially in the 8th spot of the playoffs is super exciting stuff. People may think I'm joking about them being a favorite against Dallas in the first round, but this is some real Denver-Seattle in 1994 action we're talking about here. The ONLY good news for the Mavericks is that it's a seven-game series, which tends to favor the better team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that Seattle was nowhere the team that Dallas is. You are comparing a 57 win team to a team that if they win the championship they will be considered one of the 5 best teams in the last 30 years and if they don't win the championship they will be considered one of the biggest disappointments in the last 30 years and that 94 series was nothing but a giant upset, an 8 seed stunning a 1 seed...it wasn't a 1 seed falling short of greatness. Let's face it, it isn't close to the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you and agree. Golden State actually is 2-0 vs the mavs this year, which is better then any other team in the league (vs the mavs). I'd like to think Nellie knows their system better then anyone other then avery johnson/their players. It seems josh howard may be a little dinged up, and the warriors are just clicking... I can really see this actually being a good series, and not the sweep everyone expects out of a 1/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first, Howard, unless something crazy happens in these last 5 games will be healthy for the playoffs. His ankle is actually fine right now and Avery is just spreading the minutes around to make sure his bench is ready for the playoffs. This means there shouldn't be any excuse b/c they should have a healthy team going into the playoffs barring anything unfortunate between now and then.

Secondly, I don't think anyone expects a sweep if it were GS in the 8 seed. I do believe Tuq's favoring GS is a bit ridiculous. I do agree that Nellie does a great job coaching underdogs, he always has, his problem has always been winning when he has had the team. Sure, GS will give Dallas more of a headache than the Clippers will--the Clippers lack of a point guard would end the series rather quickly--but I don't believe GS is better than Dallas and would tend to think that many would agree, and so a 7 game series is just to tall of a task to ask of GS. They may win a couple games b/c they are dangerous but I don't see this turning into a collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]

tdarko,

good post. although i think you misunderstood me, no way do i feel GS as an 8 seed have the advantage over Dallas. But, what I am saying, is that it should be a competitive series and I can see GS pulling off the upset. But if they do win, it will be that, an upset.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:31 PM

If Golden State beats Dallas in a playoff series in 2007, I will pay every person who posted on this thread $1 including myself

Feel free to bookmark it
Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not hating on Thomas at all lol, I was content to say both teams got a player they need and leave it at that but now I feel the need to defend my boy Aldridge. I'm reading articles out of Chicago saying basically the same things these guys are saying and it's all nonsense. If Thomas were that great, he'd be playing. It's not like Chicago has a bunch of All-Star forwards in front of him. PJ Brown, Nocioni who's actually a SF, Sweetney...c'mon stop the madness. You might be able to make the argument Thomas will eventually be a good NBA player, but I'll make the argument that LaMarcus IS ALREADY a good NBA player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't LaMarcus play all that much until March? Was it having such studs as Magloire and Pryzbilla ahead of him?

LA had a solid rookie year, but lets not get carried away. He averaged 9 and 5 overall playing for a [censored] pail team. The only month he averaged more than 5 boards was March and that was also his only month over 9 points.

LA's and Tyrus' per minute post All-Star production is actually very similar.

LA

Tyrus

Tyrus rebounds the ball better, blocks shots better (3rd in the NBA per minute), scores nearly as much and gets to the line a ton more. He's definitely already a good NBA player just because of his D and ability to score without having plays run for him.

Post All-Star he's 4th on the team in scoring per game, 3rd in FTA, 3rd in rebounding, 2nd in blocks and that is despite only playing 7th most minutes.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spurs arent getting passed the Suns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Home court decides it, and Suns don't have that yet...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

In for the free dollar.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think home court means that much in the playoffs, at least not in the last few years.

So who are your guys picks for this season's awards? Mine are:

MVP

Dirk, even though I think Nash is more valuable to his team. Can't argue with Dirk though, given the season that they have had.

ROY

Is there anyone that can be chosen over Roy? I think this is the easiest award to judge.

Most Improved

I think this is a close battle between Monta Ellis and Al Jefferson. Both players have nearly doubled all their stats, but I think I'd give the edge to Monta for still being on the court. His 3 point shooting has gone down, but that's the only negative I see about him.

6th Man

I hate this award, it's never made much sense to me. I have no idea who should get this, Barbosa perhaps? Maybe David Lee if his team didn't tank it down the stretch? I don't know about this award, and really don't care.

Defensive Player of the Year

Camby. Call it a homer pick, but on paper and in the games he's been the most effective. Leads the NBA in defensive rebounds/48 minutes, Dominates all the shot blocking stats, and is quite a bit ahead of all the centers in steals/St per 48/St per PF.

NBA Finals

San Antonio vs Toronto - San Antonio wins.

The Spurs are healthy, rested, and are rounding into form as usual. I hope I'm wrong though, since they will likely play my Nugz in round one. In the west I like Detroit and Toronto, but Toronto seem to be getting better with every game. Detroit is playing well though.... Gosh I hope Toronto makes it to the #2 seed and faces the Pistons in the ECF.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Something that stuck out to me in the last game is the suns shot 38%, 2-11 from 3, Amare went 7-19 and Barbosa went 5-18 (2 players that almost always murder the spurs), and they STILL had a chance to win the game in the end. There had been games like this in SAN in the past years and they would get buried. Also, the Spurs are rarely able to dictate the pace to that degree. Anyway, I do agree that the suns gotta seal up homecourt or else I dont want to think about it.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 AM

Toronto has to pass two teams that are both playing pretty easy schedules down the stretch. Tough to see either team losing more than 1 game, Chicago at least has the tiebreaker(dunno about Cleveland), and Toronto plays Detroit twice. Toronto at 3 is pretty well a lock. The Eastern Conference is a pretty well set as far as home court goes and the seedings have only a tiny bit of wiggle room left.

Anyway, right now my Eastern conference pick is whoever the #2 is since the 1 vs. 4/5 series is going to be brutal.