Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Bankroll Management in Online Poker: Advice Wanted

After going busto on my original deposit a couple of times, I'm beginning to appreciate the importance of bankroll management.

I'm adequately bankrolled for the 5$-10$ limit hold'em I play in. Would you recommend depositing my entire BR on the poker site (not something I'd feel secure in doing) or only a portion, in the knowledge that I can always deposit more if things go bad? If so, what would be an adequate amount, expressed in big bets?

Secondly, while limit hold'em is my main game, I've recently started to branch out into NLHE, Omaha hi/lo and Stud hi/lo. Since I still consider myself a fish in these games, I've been playing the microstakes only. Would it be best to set aside a separate bankroll for each of these games or can I continue playing off my winnings in limit hold'em until I feel comfortable enough to move up in stakes?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Bankroll Management in Online Poker: Advice Wanted

deposit as much as u feel comfortable with right now, if u go robusto redeposit, not hard
Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 PM

A) Assuming you are in the US, I don't think there's a good reason to keep your entire BR on the site unless you have problems commingling.

B) Remember that no BR is adequate for a given game if you aren't a winning player - you may have x00 BB's for the 5/10, but if you can't beat the 5/10, you'd be better off having a BR of 2.5x00 BB in 2/4 or something.

C) They're micro limits, how much of a hit can you really take?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Don't deposit your whole roll.

Don't bother splitting it up, just keep good records on results for the various games.

If you are primarily a live player, start much lower on line as the games are much tougher for the level on line, and it may take a bit of time to adjust. Also, starting a bit lower is probably worth it in any case to reduce the liklihood of needing to redeposit. So if you know you are winning at 5/10 limit on line (how you would know this without a lot of play in the games I don't know, though) you may want to start at 3/6 or even 2/4 until you get your roll built up. If you don't know you are a winner at the games, start at 1/2 and work up through the levels as bankroll permits.

If you don't have rakeback, get it.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM

blah playing micros with a big ass bank roll is hard for me as I am like its a $2 bet wtf I call when its 20 big bets..
maybe set aside like $50 and see if you can grind it to alot but youre prob more disciplined then me (I hope for you sake)
Old 04-10-2007, 05:37 PM

Keeping your money online at this point in time is just a really bad idea. No sites or cashout methods are safe. I would leave 100bbs on a site or less just to play. Playing thte mircos on your roll is totally cool, should be able to win enough at 5/10 to play for expirence at the micros, its like reinvesting back into your game...
GL
Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keeping your money online at this point in time is just a really bad idea. No sites or cashout methods are safe. I would leave 100bbs on a site or less just to play. Playing thte mircos on your roll is totally cool, should be able to win enough at 5/10 to play for expirence at the micros, its like reinvesting back into your game...
GL

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.. You dont think recieving a check from pstars is safe ?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 PM

no, i dont think anything is safe, you thought neteller was safe, you thought firepay was safe, you thought click2pay was safe, we think epassporte is safe, its not, go to the internet forum and check out all the people chatting about when its all going down, and about the people who have boatloads of money locked in the system....
its only a matter of time, id rather error on the safe side, i dont have 5k to burn