Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 01:00 AM

Default annoying deck cutting technique

Normal cut: place the cut card on the table beside the deck. Take the top half of deck and place it on the cut card. Either you or the dealer then completes the cut by placing the bottom half on top of the deck.

Annoying cut: place the deck on the table. Then take the cut card and partially insert it into the deck. Dealer then completes the cut by picking the deck up off the table and moves the portion of the deck below the cut card to the top of the deck.

Question: Why do people do the annoying cut? It take a lot longer to cut the cards this way because the completer never seems to have the dexterity to complete quickly. And the only times I see a deck get fouled is during one of these stupid cuts. I kind of get the impression the one doing the cut thinks they're being all fancy-pants and wants to show off or some such nonsense.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: annoying deck cutting technique

People are used to blackjack. Also, stop calling it a cut card, as the name implied exactly what is happening. It's a card protector.

Question: why get annoyed? Just say, "hey, it's a lot easier and faster and standard to cut this way" and show 'em. Say that the point of the card is to protect the bottom of the deck, and by having to manage the deck with the card in the middle it defeats the purpose as you run a bigger risk of seeing the bottom card.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, stop calling it a cut card, as the name implied exactly what is happening. It's a card protector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it is commonly referred to as a cut card LINK . A card protector is something different altogether. They are used by the player to protect his cards from accidently being mucked.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:09 PM

Yes -- the annoying cut is annoying!!!

And it IS a cut card. A card protector, as HRFats pointed out, is something you place on top of the cards that have been dealt to you.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 PM

Actually it would appropriately be refereed to as a bottom card.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Yeah, oops, my bad. Well, fine, be that way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] There has to be a better term for it...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 PM

I find that its a reliable way of learning who has no B&M poker room experience.

Don't point out the "right" way of cutting the deck for at east two orbits, to see who also does it the Blackjack way. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Annoying cut: place the deck on the table. Then take the cut card and partially insert it into the deck. Dealer then completes the cut by picking the deck up off the table and moves the portion of the deck below the cut card to the top of the deck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, oops, my bad. Well, fine, be that way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] There has to be a better term for it...

[/ QUOTE ]

diaper
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM

Even more annoying is the multitude of different shuffling techniques. There are only a few good ways to shuffle for poker. Most others (including the bridge/rainbow) have the chance to expose something. I know because I usually watch.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even more annoying is the multitude of different shuffling techniques. There are only a few good ways to shuffle for poker. Most others (including the bridge/rainbow) have the chance to expose something. I know because I usually watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ALWAYS watch in these situations.