Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Default HIIT Mania

So, I've gone to the gym this morning and I've tried an HIIT training. Here's what I've done:

-5 minutes warm up
-10 * 30 seconds sprints, with 30 seconds rest
-5 minutes cool down

I've done this on the cross-trainer (I think you call it elliptical trainer).
Is this training OK?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Re: HIIT Mania

How in shape are you at the moment? Its alright though I would bump it to 1 minute jog/sprint if thats all your doing
Old 04-10-2007, 09:32 AM

I'm in good shape, but I could be in better shape. I used to train 5 days a week, first weights and afterwards some cardio + a spinning session. Lately, I was doing those low intensity trainings, but I read everyone was saying that HIIT was way better, so I'm gonna give it a go. I'm planning to do 3 days of HIIT, apart from the weights. And maybe two more days of low intensity. About doing longer sprints, I have to tell you that 30 seconds, at the end was really painfull.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How in shape are you at the moment? Its alright though I would bump it to 1 minute jog/sprint if thats all your doing

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He's doing it right based on Tabata protocol.

I'm not sure about doing it on an eliptical though. Seems like it would take a few seconds to get the machine really moving?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about doing it on an eliptical though. Seems like it would take a few seconds to get the machine really moving?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean speeding up when you have to change from rest to sprint? Maybe it takes 2-3 seconds, not more. But I thought it was better this machine than the running machine that you have to push the buttons and wait for the machin to speed up
Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM

Dont know what the protocol is but from everything ive seen a 1/1 ratio is good...im not saying that 30/30 second isnt good as well.

I do agree that doing it on the elliptical isnt the greatest...a track or field is much better..even on a treadmill as long as u are willing to sacrifice some rest to let the treadmill build up
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean speeding up when you have to change from rest to sprint? Maybe it takes 2-3 seconds, not more. But I thought it was better this machine than the running machine that you have to push the buttons and wait for the machin to speed up

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I meant. Actually, now that I think about it the Tabata protocol calls for 20 second sprints w/ 10 second rests. But you have to be going full out, and I'm not sure machines are the best way to go for that.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM

the original Tabata study was done on a stationary bike I believe. most people either use a track or a stationary bike. you are right in that a treadmill sucks for HIIT. an elliptical machine would probably work ok but make sure you're doing the sprints hard, that workout would be at the end of most 8-week HIIT programs which would assume you're in pretty good shape by that time.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 AM

I'd recommend not getting overly scientific about it. Warm up, perform a high intensity interval that kicks your ass, take the shortest reasonable recovery period you can handle, repeat 5 times or until sufficiently killed prior to the point of injury, then cool down. The main evaluation of your HIIT program should be did you almost quit or almost throw up at any point? If you can answer yes to either or both you're on the right track.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

I've been doing this, too, for just the past week. Today is my rest day. I have a park nearby that is 2 blocks long by 1 block wide, so it works out pretty nicely to just sprint the lengths and walk the block. So it's 30 second sprints followed by about a minute of rest. I'm in pretty crappy shape right now though so for the first week all I did was 4 sets (I do it when I wake up), every other day. This week I'll still do 4 but focus on less rest time (jog part of the block width), and I'm also doing two days on, one day off. Then I'll bump it up as I progress, both in amount of sprints and time sprinted.