Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Why doesn\'t every home game cut the deck?

I just say its a good habit to do the cut, so why pick up bad habits at the table?

This is also how I -gently- get new players to protect their hand, not do a string-raise, not "I call and I raise" and all the other things that newbies do .

New players will usually agree to "That's how they do it in Vegas" and so long as its isn't delivered condescendingly, keeps them from feeling foolish, which of course no one wants.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:37 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i still dont get why people care if someone says "i call and i raise" if its in a flowing sentence. like seriously, is it even slightly confusing as to what their intentions are?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:24 PM

You cannot do both. It's that simple. Plus, if you're at a fast table with players that are paying attention, saying " I call" could result in someone calling behind you before you state you are raising.

^Forget that. It just doesn't make sense, you cannot call and raise, they are two seperate actions.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM

I usually hear "I see your bet and raise your bet" rather than "I call and I raise" Probably the same thing. I have a little card I hand out to everyone that has the blind schedule, chip value, hand rankings and common rules. One of the rules in No String Bets and is stated exactly as follows:

String bets are not allowed (“I see your bet and raise your bet”).

It really helps because everyone reviews these before the game. I don't force them to read them but put a sheet of paper in front of someone and human nature dictates they start to read it...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i still dont get why people care if someone says "i call and i raise" if its in a flowing sentence. like seriously, is it even slightly confusing as to what their intentions are?

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be ... because the people who do this are usually the ones that say it like, "I'll see your $5 ............ and raise you $10 more" -- with a pause in between. So, it's very possible for the person behind them to act on the "I'll see your $5" which they verbalized.

I think that making everyone say "raise" if they intend to raise (or simply putting an amount of chips on the table that is a raise) is a good policy. Even the biggest poker noobs I have run across haven't had a problem with that after being corrected once or twice.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM

I need to start doing this. Having a copy of Robert's Rules may be authoritative, but no one (at my game) has actually picked it up to read or learn.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the rules in No String Bets and is stated exactly as follows:

String bets are not allowed (“I see your bet and raise your bet”).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-06-2007, 04:54 AM

In the games I play in, the dealer shuffles his own cards and offers a cut behind (one deck in play).
I tend to let string bets slide somewhat regularly, as the players making them are weak players. With new players I try to straighten them out early on, the chronic string bettors are old and set in their ways.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does anyone play home poker without at least cutting the deck before the deal? (OK, I'm an old fart, but I was taught this about the same time I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people are stupid, maybe?

Now, for a long-time group when you KNOW people are trustworthy and have proven so in the poker game for a long time, you can let it go if you want.

However, I agree that it's a bad habit to get into, so why risk problems?